4th December: Mumbai to Singapore on the Dawn - CANCELLED?

LAL Cruiser

We are booked on the Whisper cruise out of Mumbai on December 4 having had the previously booked Singapore to Mumbai cruise cancelled. I can see that the Dawn has nothing sailing from November 17 until Singapore but the Whisper's November cruises are still bookable.  It would seem strange that they would cancel the larger cruise but keep the smaller one - wouldn't it be easier to allow the Whisper passengers to transfer to the Dawn? Anyway, I won't be surprised if the Whisper is also cancelled I just hope that they don't leave it until the last minute like they did when they cancelled the March cruise in February.

I have been hassling my TA to try to find out what is going on with the Nov Dawn cruises as i would like to know before the final payment is due. She doesn't seem to be able to get a reply from Silversea. Anyone else had better luck?

12 minutes ago, John117 said:

I have been hassling my TA to try to find out what is going on with the Nov Dawn cruises as i would like to know before the final payment is due. She doesn't seem to be able to get a reply from Silversea. Anyone else had better luck?

You may find that you will get your final answer after the date that your final payment was due.  So you might have to confront a decision now that you would have preferred to be an informed decision later.

Good luck.

Jeff

There is no update or new concerning the Silver Dawn November 17 and Dec 4 cruises, or various cruises on the Whisper and Spirit for the November and December 2024 periods.  Believe me, I have tried with Silversea, using contacts, and working with our Travel Agent. The bottom line is that there is still no definite plan in place with respect to moving these THREE ships from the Med (Athens) to the Indian Ocean.  And, there are many operational and logistical challenges and revenue matters to consider.

I will keep trying - the last I heard is that the Dawn cruises being discussed and now showing as Waitlist only are not likely to operate, The Whisper cruise on Dec 4 out of Mumbai probably will operate but maybe with a modified itinerary, and a bunch of Dawn, Whisper and Spirit cruises out of Athens to the Greek Isles planned for Nov and Dec 2024 could be cancelled.  

I have nothing smart to say, our trip is in jeopardy and, as mentioned above, we have airline plus pre and post cruise arrangements planned and (partially) paid for, which payments are not refundable in whole.  I am concerned, and we all need time to revise our plans and/or look for alternatives.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The new Whisper itinerary (14 day Mumbai to Singapore) with pricing should be available around June 6 according to my sources.

14 days from Mumbai to Singapore is rather quick as these itineraries are usually in the 17 to 20 day range; there is a lot of distance to cover.  It will be interesting to see the schedule. ports visited and timing.  Will the 14 day cruise be worth taking: to travel so far for a few points with numerous days at sea misses the point of this cruise in my opinion.

I fear that we will end up cancelling our entire India/Cruise adventure and do something else - but what?  We will have over €5000.00 to burn with Lufthansa.

Still curious as to the plans for the Spirit. We’re booked on a March 7th cruise from Capetown to Qatar. They’re supposed to start cruises out of Capetown in January. I’m thinking maybe the open period in December is to move it to Capetown the long way. Then again, perhaps I’m thinking too much . Wait and see 

2 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Still curious as to the plans for the Spirit. We’re booked on a March 7th cruise from Capetown to Qatar. They’re supposed to start cruises out of Capetown in January. I’m thinking maybe the open period in December is to move it to Capetown the long way. Then again, perhaps I’m thinking too much . Wait and see 

It is unclear how the Spirit is getting from Athens to the Indian Ocean - the Indian Ocean Spirit cruises over christmas and New years seem unaffected thus far - who knows?

2 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Just saw that it’s listed as waitlisted. Could mean it’s doomed 

It is doomed - Dawn cancelled, Whisper being revised.

I looked into this further. After Doha the Spirit was supposed to leave for Athens which is now also listed as waitlisted. After that it was Athens to Lisbon I believe, also waitlisted. However as I’ve got 2 free tickets on Qatar  to Capetown I was able to get a 7 day hold on the Dawn for March 11th, Capetown to Southampton which are 2 legs of the World Cruise. Of course I’ll wait for SS to cancel the Spirit and get my ducks in a row in the meantime.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 9:07 PM, LAL Cruiser said:

The new Whisper itinerary (14 day Mumbai to Singapore) with pricing should be available around June 6 according to my sources.

14 days from Mumbai to Singapore is rather quick as these itineraries are usually in the 17 to 20 day range; there is a lot of distance to cover.  It will be interesting to see the schedule. ports visited and timing.  Will the 14 day cruise be worth taking: to travel so far for a few points with numerous days at sea misses the point of this cruise in my opinion.

I fear that we will end up cancelling our entire India/Cruise adventure and do something else - but what?  We will have over €5000.00 to burn with Lufthansa.

I'm sorry to hear that. We were supposed to be on Whisper in March for the similar itinerary and it too was cancelled so we eventually rebooked on Whisper for the Dec 4 sailing. Today that sailing is also waitlisted so I wonder if SS are hoping that the passengers from Dawn will transfer over. 

1 minute ago, LikeNiceThings said:

My question is for mumcat.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When you wish to reply to a particular post, press “quote”.  The post appears in a blue shaded box in your reply.  You now type your comments in the white space underneath the blue shaded area.

9 hours ago, LikeNiceThings said:

My question is for mumcat.

We have not been officially told by SS that the cruise has been shortened. I only know about it from reading here . So yes, we are still booked on Whisper and I assume we will be notified of the change and hopefully given options.