Taking a 3 almost 4 year old cave tubing?

joshkathy

I would say it kind of depends on your kiddo. (And of course what the tour operators allow). We went last week and the tubing itself is quite tame. If you have an adventerous kid that isn't afraid of the water (can be a little cold at times), and isn't afraid of the dark, it might be do-able. Most of the tour is inside of the caves, wearing a headlight to look around. I think the only way to do it with one that little would be to have them on your lap in the tube.

We went with Yhoni at cave-tubing.com. I highly recommend his group. Why don't you visit their website and send an e-mail to ask what he thinks?

• 3 weeks later...

I would NOT take them. I had w teens with me and panicked when I lost them in a dark cave. Even though we were with a private tour, the caves ere so crowded the day we were there and it was SO easy to get separated or hit the rocks. Others have reported high and fast water levels with rains.

Took a 6 yr old last week she rode in the lap of her mother. This is not the rainy season so the river was low. However we were linked for the caves so we would not seperate. The caves weren't crowded because we didn't try and catch up with the ships tour of 100 or so.

Even linked up you CAN be separated from the group. We had only teens and adults in our group. Several became separated in some sections. You are only connected by hooking your feet under the tube of the person in front of you.

Also consider the length of the hike to the starting point. It was about a 30-45 minute hike. You get into the river by jumping 20 feet or climbing down (don't remember if it was a rope or down the rocks).

I would say no for that age. The bus ride is long and bumpy, and there is about a mile hike along a winding and dipping rock strewn path at a brisk pace. The caves are dark, and everything would be fine, unless something went wrong. I would not want to be in a dark, water-filled cave with tons of other people, and my toddler.

I was recently on this tour and we really enjoyed it but my youngest was 9 and I thought a bit young for this tour.

I also would have to vote no for little ones. We recenlty visited the caves, saw bats and long legged spiders. The climb thorough the rainforest to the caves sites is not something you want to take a 4 year old on. Most kids in our group were 8-10.

Archived