QE2 or Newer Ship (Carnival Liberty, Celebrity Galaxy, Norwegian Jewel.. RC.. etc....

hawaii777

Hi! I need everyone's help. I am looking to book a Med. Cruise for this July and I found an intinerary on the QE2 that seemed nice, but I am worried that the ship is going to be old and beat up. Would you recommend the QE2 or booking on a newer ship? Thanks for your feedback!!!

The QE2 is very well maintained. I was just on her in January this year.

6 day Trans-Atlantic. I had a great time. Service and food very good..

Beatiful ship. There is an amazing amount of nautical art and artifacts on baord...

That said it then matters what is your priorities/ needs on a cruise....

QE2 has very few balcony cabins and these are very expensive. But many of the mid priced cabins on QE2 have bathtubs which usually are only on mini suites on new ships.... Also you must go to the computer center to send e-mails, But the room service menu for my Caronia grade cabin (C2 I was upgreaded )was the best I have seen on any ship...

The paint and deck areas of the ship are faultlessly maintained....But the woodwork in the cabins does show some signs of wear, But I love natural wood and these are beautiful...

If you must have 100% new and all the latest bells and whistles QE2 may not be for you, But she is a beatifully maintained classic ship who has a lot to offer that the new ships cannot match for charm. Someone told me that over her life Cunard has spent 15 times what it cost to build her to update and maintain her. Much of the public room decor is only a few years old...

All for now, Tom in Long Beach, Who also is booked on QE2 trans canal next year... and who also likes the QM2 but for different reasons.

Generally speaking he Mediteranian cruises on the QE2 will feature a majority of English and German passengers and will be quite elegant. If you are looking for elegant and traditional (formal) then the QE2 is the ship for you. On the other hand if you like a casual cruise with more US citizens try NCL or one of the other lines that sail most of their ships from US ports. Hope you try the QE2 as it is the very best.

Well, to be honest this is a very difficult question. We get it all the time, and I really never know quite what to say.

To answer your most direct concern, QE2 is most certainly not beat up but she is not shiny and new either. We love her all the more for that, but if shiny and new appeals to you, do yourself a favor and choose a newer ship.

She is beautifully maintained and in wonderful condition for her age but the fact remains that she is still not new. She will never have the "newness" that the new ships have, and she is totally different in design, atmosphere... Everything. QE2 is a totally different animal from any of the other ships you mention. And if she weren't, nobody would care about her - she would just be another ordinary cruise ship. But there's nothing wrong with ordinary cruise ships - I daresay that most of the public would really prefer them to a ship like QE2, and therein lies the dilemma. I love QE2, more so than any other ship in the world, but nonetheless she is just not a ship I feel I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who comes along.

The fact is that today QE2 is something totally unique, which does not exist anywhere else. She is wonderful for traditionalists and ocean liner enthusiasts and people who have been sailing with her for years, but as I said... She is not for everyone.

I know there are a lot of QE2 fans who will just say, "yes, take her" to anyone who asks but I just can't give her that kind of universal recommendation... Even though I love her, even though she's my very favorite ship, she's just not for everyone.

OK, I guess I'm going around in circles here now! But as I said, this question is something of a dilemma. On the one hand, you might love her (lots of people do, like me). On the other hand, she is also a ship you might absolutely hate. I guess it is like comparing a fine antique mechanical watch with a new mass-produced quartz watch. The quartz watch is probably more accurate, easier to live with day to day, cheaper, and so on, but that doesn't mean a watch collector is going to trade his prized antique for it! The new cruise ships are wonderful but they are just big, soulless floating hotels. QE2 is not perfect but she is something special. She is a ship with a soul... Something so rare these days.

She is not the ship for you if you want a balcony (unless you are prepared to pay big bucks for a suite). She is certainly not for you if you do not like dressing up. The food is very good, but "alternative dining" is pretty much nonexistant. Gimmicks like rock-climbing and ice rinks not only aren't there, but her passengers would be absolutely apalled if they were. The evening entertainment is not as "splashy" as it is on some of the mass-market lines, though the quality usually better. (Fans of production shows - of which I am not one - are often surprised by how good hers are.) She has some wonderful public areas but they certainly aren't going to wow you like the dramatic spaces aboard the new ships. Her style is quiet elegance, not over-the-top showiness.

That said, her lecture programme is superb. Her better cabins are as lovely as the less-expensive ones are ordinary. Your fellow passengers (as others mentioned, they will probably be mostly British with a large number of Germans, some North Americans, and a sprinkling of others) will likely be more interesting than on many other ships. Most importantly, there is that very special feeling of being aboard a great ocean liner rather than some hotel-on-a-hull with eleven sister ships which differ only in that the paintings are different.

So in the end, it really all depends on your tastes. As I said, this is a ship most people either love or hate...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! I need everyone's help. I am looking to book a Med. Cruise for this July and I found an intinerary on the QE2 that seemed nice, but I am worried that the ship is going to be old and beat up. Would you recommend the QE2 or booking on a newer ship? Thanks for your feedback!!!

Travel aboard QE2. She is one of the very last of her kind, a real ocean liner. I last crossed on her in January of this year, and she is in beautiful shape. Do not miss this chance to be a small part of her history. The barges that make up much of the cruise fleet elswhere will be there wallowing for you long after QE2 is gone.

Hi Hawaii777

old and beat up just about sums it up - if you want to enjoy the latest amenities and comforts offered by the cruise industry then try something more modern. If you are more interested in experiencing what it was like cruising in the 1960's (but tarted up a bit) then QE2 is your ship.

Don't listen to the neandethals whaling about barges, if you get chance to sail QM2 do it because she will blow you away!!!

Hi Hawaii777

old and beat up just about sums it up - if you want to enjoy the latest amenities and comforts offered by the cruise industry then try something more modern. If you are more interested in experiencing what it was like cruising in the 1960's (but tarted up a bit) then QE2 is your ship.

Don't listen to the neandethals whaling about barges, if you get chance to sail QM2 do it because she will blow you away!!!

I beg to differ with you sir or madame. Cruising on the QE2 can be compared to shopping at Tiffany's and Harry Winston , or to driving a Roll Royce - there is a certain panache vs the other lines that I would compare to shopping at Walmart or driving a Yugo. All serve a purpose and cater to a particular group. Take you pick. In my mind nothing can compare to the QE2 not even the simi -barge called the QM2

I beg to differ with you sir or madame. Cruising on the QE2 can be compared to shopping at Tiffany's and Harry Winston , or to driving a Roll Royce - there is a certain panache vs the other lines that I would compare to shopping at Walmart or driving a Yugo. All serve a purpose and cater to a particular group. Take you pick. In my mind nothing can compare to the QE2 not even the simi -barge called the QM2

I rest my case ......

hawaii777, without knowing more about you, and on which ships (if any) you have sailed before its a bit difficult to make a recommendation. You've seen a couple of posts from the QE2ophiles and some from those less enamoured with the ship. I think the best metaphor I've heard was from Johan (iirc) the waiter at the Sun Deck Bar on the QE2 this January - comparing the QE2 to the QM2 - which do you prefer - a 1969 Jaguar or a 2004 Jaguar? Both very stylish, but very different, one from the other. Where would you rather go on vacation - Las Vegas or (pre-inundation!) New Orleans - if Vegas, go for a newer ship - if you prefer the idiosyncratic charm of New Orleans, try the QE2. I've been to both, and liked both - but they are very different!

Peter

I have sailed on both and loved the experience of both, and would agree that it is more the sort of person you are that should be the deciding factor. Please do not believe what you may be told that QE2 is a scruffy, dirty old ship that should be scrapped. It isn't. Equally do not believe what you may be told that QM2 is flashy, glitzy Las Vegas afloat. It isn't.

There is a wealth of information on these boards alone to inform you of the advantages and disadvantages of both ships.

I don't believe you would be likely to be dissapointed with either.

David.

That is a pretty apt analogy Peter posted above.

How important are balconies to you? If so, unless money is no object, you will not have one on QE2 as only the most expensive Queen's Grill Categories have balconies. If a balcony is important, why not a Med sailing on QM2 (another fine ships) or can you only sail in July? If not and you require a balcony, I would recommned from yourslist: Celebrity Galaxy if dressing up is important to you. If you are interested in casual, the NCL Jewel would be your best bet. We sailed on Carnival (Triumph) to Canada and loved it - wonderful passengers and the service and food were great. It is on the Carribean Cruises that you get the rowdy, often quite drunk. lewd and sometimes combative passengers on Carnival. We were on a 2 day cruise to nowhere on the Legend and I thought nothing would shock me any more......

What you will get on QE2 is a porthole and it can be dissapointing if you are used to a regular window on any other ship. Again, only Queens Grill Cat has a decent window. Even the Princess and Brittania Grill Cats have portholes (but you get two somewhat larger ones).

I have seen ships only 5 years old that have worn rugs, stains, scratches, etc. It all has to do with upkeep and maintainance and that is perfromed well on QE2, however, the decor is somewhat dated. I like to think of it as Retro. However, you like classic liners, this is the ship for you.

Likewise you will not have a fridge in your stateroom and your sign and sail card won't open the door - is not state of the art crusing. And the Lido is not very good.

That said if you do book this ship get a travel agent who has actually sailed on the ship and knows the deck plan. Looking at the web site or brochure you will not be able to tell the relative size and configuration of certain cabins (especially in Carnonia Cat). I and others on this site have the floor plan from the 1980's and can answer any questions in regard to any cabin you may have.

old and beat up just about sums it up

To be fair to her, Cunard/Princess have put a lot of money into refurbishing nce last year when you sailed in her. I honestly don't think you could call her "beat up" in her present condition. She is in much better condition than many of the "modern" ships I've sailed in.

I do agree with the rest of your statement, she does not offer all the "latest modern comforts and amenities" which most of her passengers don't care about anyway. QE2 mostly appeals to people who like the fact that she's a bit of a throwback. Complaining that she doesn't offer the latest modern amenities is like complaining that an E-type Jaguar doesn't have a navigation system and heated seats... It misses the point.

I see you are sailing in ROYAL STAR in January - going for the modern comforts and amenities I suppose ;) ?

To be fair to her, Cunard/Princess have put a lot of money into refurbishing nce last year when you sailed in her. I honestly don't think you could call her "beat up" in her present condition. She is in much better condition than many of the "modern" ships I've sailed in.

Carpets and paint, carpets and paint!!!! What about the cabins? What about the bathrooms? What about the Lido? What about the chipped and scratched timber veneer? What about the peeling vinyl wallpaper in the tenders!!!???

I do agree with the rest of your statement, she does not offer all the "latest modern comforts and amenities" which most of her passengers don't care about anyway. QE2 mostly appeals to people who like the fact that she's a bit of a throwback. Complaining that she doesn't offer the latest modern amenities is like complaining that an E-type Jaguar doesn't have a navigation system and heated seats... It misses the point.

Yes all well and good but she is not sold to Joe Public as a bit of a throwback.

I see you are sailing in ROYAL STAR in January - going for the modern comforts and amenities I suppose ;) ?

Horses for courses and I know what to expect on Royal Star. Sarcasm does not help your point in the least!

Peter .... I would compare QE2 with Atlanta - a legend that has been changed so much it is almost unrecognisable. Old New Orleans is/was in such a lovely state of preservation.

Ken

Well, I am a confirmed QE2 lover. I can tell you that the bathrooms on the signal deck are in better condition than those on the Arcadia - which is about a year old.

One thing that you need to bear in mind is that her facilities depend on what you pay. Jeanne says that you won't get a 'fridge in your cabin - well I have always had one, but I have always travelled Queens Grill. Likewise, my first trip was in a single cabin (2070) and I had two large windows - admittedly these were quasi porthole in shape but plenty large enough to let sunlight through nicely and - at least on the transatlantic that I was on - all that one needs. Not to say a balcony isn't lovely - I have always had one since - but I felt very fortunate in 2070.

I have to say that one of the things that I really like about QE2 is that she doesn't have a keycard system - you get a real key! Ken says that she isn't marketed as "throwback" but in the 2007 preview brochure much is made of her 40th anniversary.

Service on the QE2 is exceptionally good. Crew - of whatever grade - greet passengers as routine. The ship is friendly and there is no real distinction between classes other than at dinner. When in the public rooms no-one would know or care whether you were in a Q1 or a M7.

On my first trip I was sat for dinner on a large table. One of men was finding difficulty in coping with the lifestyle to begin with - too much of a get up and go chap. He got the hang of it in the end.....

She is a ship for those who do not seek or need to be entertained. Having said that there is a good programme of things to do. But they are, in the main, cerebral. Her passengers are travellers rather than tourists....

OK - I love her. I'm going to sing her praises. You are not going to like her if you don't like formality. You are not going to like her if you like discotheques at every turn. She is not pristine, in the way that a brand new ship is. I think she is very well maintained, but yes - and even on the signal deck - there are parts where you wil find small corners of peeling wallpaper or other "flaws". Those that love the ship would suggest that is a quality that one would refer to as "patina" in the context of an antique. Those, like Ken, who are not fans of the ship will not see our point.

I haven't sailed on QM2, although I have seen on board her during a tour of her in New York in April 2004. She is very impressive, but I didn't sense a soul.

QE2 has a soul. I think that makes her unique.

Ken

Peter .... I would compare QE2 with Atlanta - a legend that has been changed so much it is almost unrecognisable.

Ken

Very good Ken! It would seem that the only thing not changed is the Synagogue. It is a very different ship from my 1978 crossing. I was lost returning many years later.

Carpets and paint, carpets and paint!!!! What about the cabins? What about the bathrooms? What about the Lido? What about the chipped and scratched timber veneer? What about the peeling vinyl wallpaper in the tenders!!!???

Carpets and paint can make a big difference ;) !

But seriously, I saw over 20 cabins and they were all in excellent condition. It is true that some of the P cabins (like the one you had) have only partially-renovated bathrooms and those really do need some work. The renovated bathrooms in the M, C, Q and some (not all) P cabins are far nicer than those on most new ships. Also she has real toilets rather than those awful vacuum things the new ships have, which always seem to be clogged/not having pressure/etc.!

The Lido has had a major refurbishment including all new furniture, soft furnishings, etc. Looks great.

It is true that some of the panelling could do with refinishing. However I have seen a lot of "wear and tear" that is much worse aboard ships that are only a year or two old!

Can't comment on tenders; they're not of too much use on an Atlantic crossing ;) .

she is not sold to Joe Public as a bit of a throwback.

Well... In a way she is, in a way she isn't. They do make a big deal of "heritage", but that goes for QM2 as well, and she is of course anything but a throwback.

As I have said earlier, I cannot recommend QE2 to to the "general cruising public" if you will... The average "Joe Public" would be much better served by one of the new, modern ships from the major lines, or by QM2, a ship which is suitable for a much wider audience.

I know what to expect on Royal Star.

I'm sure you do - and from what I've heard, she's a rather delightful little vessel. A friend who was also recently one of my dining companions aboard QE2 has sailed in her I forget how many times... Five or six I think! Obviously he is quite fond of her. (As a disclaimer I should point out that he likes QE2 also, so perhaps that disqualifies his opinion ;) ?)

It just seemed rather ironic to me to have you going on about how QE2 doesn't have the latest amenities when you have just booked a cruise in a ship that has decidedly fewer!

a legend that has been changed so much it is almost unrecognisable.

Ah but all these changes are supposedly in the aid of adding more "latest amenities"!

To me QE2's biggest flaw is certainly that there is not much left of her original interiors... And most of what they've been replaced by, while not actually bad, is really nothing special - just standard "modern cruise ship" decor. She deserves better.

........... It just seemed rather ironic to me to have you going on about how QE2 doesn't have the latest amenities when you have just booked a cruise in a ship that has decidedly fewer! .

We are spending a month in East and South Africa, and using a small, 50 year old, 200 pax ship (as opposed to a 'gin palace') to travel port to port between Mombasa and Cape Town for 2 weeks (no modern cruiseship could do such an itinerary). It's not about being a 'cruise' ..... with few amenities onboard worth mentioning its about the experience of the journey - that's the whole point of it. Apart from having few modern amenities either, I don't see where the QE2 figures in this? I certainly wouldn't want to do a transatlantic or Mediterranean/Caribbean cruise on Royal Star any more than I would want to sail from Mombasa to Cape Town on the QM2 (or as you know, sail 'anywhere' on QE2!!!) - like I said, its horses for courses.

Ken

Hi Hawaii777

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumeroll

I rest my case ......

Dear KenC.

Are you calling tumeroll a "neandethal"?

I think you need to chill out mate - take a holiday.

How about a cruise on the QE2? ;)

Apart from having few modern amenities either, I don't see where the QE2 figures in this?

She doesn't. It just struck me as somewhat ironic that you were complaining about one ship having few modern amenities while you had just booked a cruise in another that has even fewer.

Just an observation.

While we are on the subject of what ships are suitable for what itineraries, I will stick my head out and say that I am not going out of my way to take anything but an Atlantic crossing (which she only does a few times a year) in QE2. Quite frankly, as much as I like QE2, my preference when it comes to cruises (as opposed to crossings) is for something rather smaller. Quite a bit smaller, preferably...

Archived