Cruising in waters around Japan in early March

I am prone to seasickness and have vertigo. Hoping to go on a Regent Explorer cruise, 3/5/25 through 3/19/25, and are concerned about the smooth or ruff waters. Itinerary is Tokyo, cruising the Pacific, Kyoto, cruising the Yellow Sea, Seoul, Shanghai, cruising East China Sea, Tokyo. I would appreciate feedback from individuals who have taken this cruise or are knowledgeable about the seas in this geographic area at that time of year.

Thank you!

We did the 14 night Explorer, Tokyo to Tokyo in March 2024. We had cold, rainy, windy weather as a norm. I'm NOT a good sailor. I had minimal nausea; wore wrist bands and had a mid-ship, Deck 6 cabin. Absolutely LOVED the cruise and Japan - gained 5 pounds.

• Like 1

Second DeepFreeze's observations.  

Yes, cold exterior conditions when jogging on Deck 12. But, could repair to the wonderful, and steamy Infinity Pool; then to the adjacent steam/sauna room. 

There is no way to predict sea conditions at any time of year, on any cruise.  When at sea, "Ship" can happen. Mitigate adverse responses to rough seas by booking a centered and lower Deck Suite.   

Explorer is our favorite Regent ship.  Well, will board Splendor for the 1st time in a few weeks.  So--bottom line is the favorite Regent ship is the one I am currently on.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

We did Explorer in Feb. 21-March 6  from Hong Kong to Tokyo and it was generally cold and some rain, but I don't remember the seas being bad at all.  But it really depends on Mother Nature.  The good thing is Typhoon Season starts in May.  😎

Some years ago we experienced a sea tornado off the north coast of Japan in March. Was like being in a washing machine. Much smaller ship than Explorer but as others have said, you never know what sea conditions you’re going to get. Mid ship and low is where we always book just in case.

6 hours ago, sanne said:

Some years ago we experienced a sea tornado off the north coast of Japan in March. Was like being in a washing machine. Much smaller ship than Explorer but as others have said, you never know what sea conditions you’re going to get. Mid ship and low is where we always book just in case.

WOW!!!  I bet that was "exciting"!   I flew for the Coast Guard for 10 years and when we saw a Water Spout we turned the airplane and "beat feet" as fast as we could!  

16 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

WOW!!!  I bet that was "exciting"!   I flew for the Coast Guard for 10 years and when we saw a Water Spout we turned the airplane and "beat feet" as fast as we could!  

Sure was ‘exciting’. Came out of the blue at dinner. The bottle of red plus all our glasses ended up on my husband who went flying backwards onto the floor…luckily not hurt but covered in red wine! We went straight to our room, took a pill and jumped into bed quickly. Thankfully survived the night! 

• Like 1

We did Tokyo to Tokyo early this March. Cold temperatures, rain etc but it didn’t appear to be rough sailing (which I enjoy 😂). Anything can happen next year. Just take precautions and be prepared. 

6 hours ago, czardas said:

We did Tokyo to Tokyo early this March. Cold temperatures, rain etc but it didn’t appear to be rough sailing (which I enjoy 😂). Anything can happen next year. Just take precautions and be prepared. 

We were onboard with you and agree that it was cold - in fact on our tour in Kyoto it snowed 🤭! On the day we were docked in Tokyo (before disembarking the next day) the wind was strong - we had a tug nearly all day under our balcony pushing the ship to keep her on the dock! 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:08 PM, Phylis21 said:

I am prone to seasickness and have vertigo. Hoping to go on a Regent Explorer cruise, 3/5/25 through 3/19/25, and are concerned about the smooth or ruff waters. Itinerary is Tokyo, cruising the Pacific, Kyoto, cruising the Yellow Sea, Seoul, Shanghai, cruising East China Sea, Tokyo. I would appreciate feedback from individuals who have taken this cruise or are knowledgeable about the seas in this geographic area at that time of year.

Thank you!

Did that itinerary this year and hadno problem with the seas...quite a smooth ride.