Wi-Fi Hotspots?

Wiseask

9 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Similar to an accountant listening to people refer to their tax REFUND as a tax RETURN. I’m retired but I still hear that every year. Definitely like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

I hate this too. I’m an accountant but not a tax accountant. I’m actually a systems accountant.

On 6/2/2024 at 5:03 PM, Wiseask said:

I was told that on board their ships there is a Wi-Fi hotspot that’s available for me to use for free.

If only ...

There isn't.  Wifi costs on the ships, one way or another.

It's astounding how much bad information is being disseminated by Princess reps.  Sometimes it's ignorance.  Sometimes it's because many are ESL and don't completely understand callers' questions, and/or are unable to convey info in a way callers can understand.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

Sometimes it's because many are ESL and don't completely understand callers' questions, and/or are unable to convey info in a way callers can understand.

In this particular case the Princess rep, though she spoke with a mildly accented English, was easy to understand. According to the answers I have received on this thread, she was simply misinformed about this supposed “hotspot.” But in the handful of times I have called Princess Customer Service, except for one time when my call was answered by a rep whose primary language was clearly English, every other rep spoke in such heavily accented English they were unintelligible (at least to me), and with apologies to them I had to hang up because they were unable to transfer my call Stateside. 

Edited by Wiseask

On 6/2/2024 at 5:24 PM, akaCruiser said:

By getting Princess Plus, it's overall the best option as the cost of Wifi, Gratuities, and drink package is better than paying for these individually.

I think we’re leaning in that direction. Yes, the Plus package is expensive, but I don’t think I want to be unconnected from the Internet for a full 16 days (though I believe that separate and apart from the Plus package, Princess does sell Internet access per diem).

Which raises another question: Celebrity provides its passengers with a basic Internet access (included in the fare) or a premium Internet package available for purchase. Although in my experience the basic Internet was slow, it was tolerable, but I was unable to, say, play videos on my phone. I assume that the Wi-Fi I would be purchasing with the Princess Plus package would be more comparable to Celebrity’s premium Wi-Fi package?

Posted (edited)

Princess uses Starlink for internet and the speed are actually good (even in Alaska). They only have one type of plan. I was able to stream and use YouTube without having any issues or slowness during my 10 day cruise. I only had one device option, but you can switch between devices which was fine for my usage.

Edited by akaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

I think we’re leaning in that direction. Yes, the Plus package is expensive, but I don’t think I want to be unconnected from the Internet for a full 16 days (though I believe that separate and apart from the Plus package, Princess does sell Internet access per diem).

Which raises another question: Celebrity provides its passengers with a basic Internet access (included in the fare) or a premium Internet package available for purchase. Although in my experience the basic Internet was slow, it was tolerable, but I was unable to, say, play videos on my phone. I assume that the Wi-Fi I would be purchasing with the Princess Plus package would be more comparable to Celebrity’s premium Wi-Fi package?

Princess only has one "tier" of internet access. The only difference in their internet packages is the number of devices. The internet was reasonably quick on my Enchanted sailing last month. I was able to Zoom and remote desktop for work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wiseask said:

every other rep spoke in such heavily accented English they were unintelligible (at least to me), and with apologies to them I had to hang up

Yes.  I have to do that, too, i.e., hang up..  And it's one thing trying to understand what they are saying which is bad enough.  But there could be important things that you're telling them -- and they don't understand YOU.  I don't get how farming out customer service is a big win for Princess.

My sister was on at 14-day trans-Atlantic last month on Caribbean Princess.  She said the Starlink internet was excellent. We spoke daily via WhatsApp, and had no problems at all.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wiseask said:

Princess has taken a different approach and I applaud them for that.  An all-inclusive cruise comes with an all-inclusive price.  Some pax don’t drink alcohol, some will drink anything brown and call it coffee, some will leave their phones in the safe and never touch them, some will not pay drew appreciation.  Personally, we find value in a package, but I think it’s great that you’re not forced to pay for what you don’t want or need.

Princess internet has been acceptable for us and I have read numerous comments here in the last year that folks are able to do what they need whether it be video streaming, email, voice calls, web surfing, etc.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Princess has taken a different approach and I applaud them for that.  An all-inclusive cruise comes with an all-inclusive price.  Some pax don’t drink alcohol, some will drink anything brown and call it coffee, some will leave their phones in the safe and never touch them, some will not pay crew appreciation.  Personally, we find value in a package, but I think it’s great that you’re not forced to pay for what you don’t want or need.

I hear you and that’s well said. The larger and currently unfamiliar Sun Princess will be about a thousand more passengers than we’re used to and we like the idea of being able to communicate with each other on board (as well as with family overseas) via WhatsApp. That’s in addition to staying connected to the world. We drink a lot of soda and bottled water on board, love the gourmet coffees, and I enjoy a few cocktails before dinner and maybe a glass of wine with dinner. I’m a strong believer in paying gratuities to the entire crew, many I will never even see, but who all work hard away from their families for months just so I can have a clean stateroom and fresh pastries at breakfast. (For exceptional individual service I simply hand the crew cash.) So with the Plus package the drinks, tips and Internet are all covered, plus a few other perks included to make it even more attractive, and the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a pretty decent deal. 

Edited by Wiseask
  • Like 1