Timing: Victoria to Vancouver

May 2025:  We hope to fly into Victoria B.C. on a Friday, allow 3-4 hours to visit Butchart Gardens on Saturday, then ferry across to Vancouver that day around 4-5:00.  We board our cruise Sunday.

1.  On a FB thread where I posted that itinerary preceding a related question, a few people were very vocal that that was a risky plans because sometimes seas are rough and ferries get canceled (although I think some of them misunderstood and thought our plan was to leave Sunday for Vancouver).  I had been thinking that the ferries later that night or early the next morning might still be okay for backup, but how do people reading this post feel about that timing?  Is it doable?  Reasonable?

2.  What are the best tips for checking in at Vancouver?  Sounds like it's a mess.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ksmetamaid said:

May 2025:  We hope to fly into Victoria B.C. on a Friday, allow 3-4 hours to visit Butchart Gardens on Saturday, then ferry across to Vancouver that day around 4-5:00.  We board our cruise Sunday.

1.  On a FB thread where I posted that itinerary preceding a related question, a few people were very vocal that that was a risky plans because sometimes seas are rough and ferries get canceled (although I think some of them misunderstood and thought our plan was to leave Sunday for Vancouver).  I had been thinking that the ferries later that night or early the next morning might still be okay for backup, but how do people reading this post feel about that timing?  Is it doable?  Reasonable?

2.  What are the best tips for checking in at Vancouver?  Sounds like it's a mess.

Thanks in advance.

It is double.  

The Victoria Airport to Butchart Gardens is an 18 minute uber/taxi drive.  The reception desk at the gardens will hold bags/luggage for visitors while your touring the garden.  It is a 20 minute uber/taxi drive from the Garden to the ferry terminal.  

Option 1:  You have a few choices on how to get on the ferry.  There is an intercity bus called BC Connector, you can take an uber from the gardens to the bus stop at the intersection of Patt Bay Hwy and Mt Newton Road.   You bags go into the luggage compartment under the bus and the bus will drive into the ferry and on the other side take you to Pacific Central (train/bus stations in Vancouver) on one of several downtown hotels in Vancouver. 

Option 2: You take a taxi/uber to the BC Ferries terminal at Swartz Bay.  You meet up with the BC Connector bus on the ship.  You will need to hang on to your bags while on the ferry and load them onto the bus when you board just before docking on the Vancouver side.

Option 3: You take a taxi/uber to the BC Ferries terminal and take regular city public transit (Translink) into Vancouver.  Just outside the ferry terminal is a bus that will take you to the Canada line.  From there there it is a short subway ride into downtown.     

Option 1 and 2 only work for some sailing.  Not all sailings have the BC Connector bus.  I think it is only the 5 and 7 PM sailings that offer hotel drop off.  You should check for your sailing,  https://bcfconnector.com/bc-ferries-connector-schedules/

If you pre-book the BC Connector, for option 1 where you join at the highway it would also include the ferry costs.  If you join the BC Connector bus on the ship, then obviously you pay for the ferry separately.

BC Ferries if you have a car you need to pre-book, if your just walking on it is extremely rare that they sell out, however if you want to pre-book you can.  

If you are doing option 2 and 3 and want to pre-book BC Ferries you can do that at: https://www.bcferries.com/  .  The terminal on the Victoria side is called Swartz Bay. and on the Vancouver side it is Tsawwassen Terminal.  

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can I suggest that before you go through the expense and logistical hassle of visiting Vancouver Island for the purpose of seeing Butchart Gardens, that you look instead at some garden alternatives within Vancouver (city) itself?  

1.  Queen Elizabeth Park gardens.  These are free (compared to $$$ for Butchart) and while not as big, can rival Butchart in terms of beauty, particularly the quarry garden (similar to one at Butchart.)  Plus, there are water features and terrific views of the city.

2.  Bloedel Conservatory.  Located within Queen Elizabeth Park is the Bloedel Conservatory, which contains a huge collection of tropical plants and free-flying tropical birds.  There's a small admission charge, worth every penny.  You might recognize the building, which has appeared in numerous films and TV shows shot in Vancouver.

3.  Van Dusen Botanical Gardens.  Located close to Queen Elizabeth Park, the Van Dusen gardens include a proper maze, concert areas, waterfalls, lots of secluded garden paths, sculpture, a fine dining restaurant and a nice cafe for afternoon tea... It's a very special place.

4.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden.  Located in Vancouver's huge Chinatown, this is an oasis of fabulous Chinese garden design.  

5.  Stanley Park.  What can be said?  It's in the top tier of the world's great city parks.  There are gardens, old growth forest, ponds, beaches, a terrific aquarium, wildlife... 

Just sayin' - a couple of days park hopping in Vancouver can make for a fabulous, low-stress time of things.  

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

Thanks, Gardyloo.  I appreciate your effort in compiling all these suggestions for me.  I'm sure they're lovely and there are a lot of place worth visiting that we won't get to, but I decided 35 years ago that if I ever went on an Alaska cruise, I'd also visit Butchart gardens, so we'll probably either to Butchart or nothing.  Maybe not.  We'll see.  I'm a little confused at the moment.  Thank you, though!

On 6/2/2024 at 3:59 PM, ksmetamaid said:

Thanks in advance.

if your cruise has a stop in Victoria ( assuming its R/T Vancouver), why not just do the shore excursion from the ship?  Your other plan of getting to a ferry, then to Vancouver, etc sounds just too stressful for me.

@ksmetamaidThe excellent reply from Emsk above covers the practical bus/ferry side of things thoroughly!

FWIW, since you are indeed one of those folks with Butchart on their proverbial bucket list, you're doing it right IMO. As a day trip from Vancouver it's a ridiculously long day - much better to overnight in Vic at the start. However...

I would suggest that rather than go Vic Hotel to Butchart to ferry with your bags, instead you book the last BCFC coach of the day from downtown Vic - while it is going to mean you do more drive time by returning to Vic instead of heading across to the ferry, it's more flexible. Head to Butchart for opening time on Saturday, spend as little or as much time as you want to at Butchart, then come back. You could even do it cheap by transit - $5 day pass each - given you'll have lots of time to spare, maybe you return in time to also hit up the Royal BC Museum or some of the other Vic sights. Or if things do go pear-shaped, you've got more padding than if you leave Butchart to Saturday PM and have to guess how much time you need there.

As to weather - yes, ferries get canceled in high winds especially, and those same winds usually stop floatplanes (choppy harbours = unsafe to land!) A storm that prevents Saturday evening ferries might also impact the early Sunday sailings - there's only so much redundancy you can build in, though at some point you have to take a risk... at least your plan does leave potential for Sunday travel.

Tip - if there's one method of transport operating Vic to Van when others aren't, it's Helijet. Unlike floatplanes they are all fully-instrumented, so even during zero visibility fog they can fly - and if things are really bad at the harbour and they deviate to YVR South, you get a free car ride to downtown. As long as your bags meet the weight limit (50lbs total, 2 pieces pp) that luggage will also travel with you - even more than floatplanes, the choppers are used by business folks who might have a purse and a small backpack or briefcase. Floatplanes OTOH only guarantee your bags will come on a flight the same day, as balance is critical for safe landings - the bigger otters aren't bad for baggage, but a 6pax beaver flight is tight, and anything over 25lbs pp costs extra!

Booking a first thing Sunday morning Helijet flight in advance, at full fare, can be canceled by 5pm the day before for a full refund - it's a few hundred bucks you'd have to leave sitting around, not earning interest, as insurance, but if you want to be as certain as you can be to get back for your cruise it's just that missed opportunity cost as long as you don't forget to cancel them!