Embarking NOLA!!

In February we'll be leaving from New Orleans. Disembarking the day of the Super Bowl. That's going to be an exciting day, said no cruiser ever!

I'm curious if anyone has insight on books, magazine articles, videos, movies, TV shows that might make me even more excited about this cruise as I wait for the next eight months to embark. I'm looking for fun, topical, pop culture references, but also more historical/scientific/boring.

I've read the very long New Yorker article by John McPhee from 1987 about the Atchafalaya River (granted it's old and outdated and more about water use/misuse than what most of us are looking for): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya&ved=2ahUKEwj5u5y8-cGGAxUfm4kEHbLOAr8QFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1uEDR2HRuy4DJeoos0bYmQ

I'd also be interested in something more along the lines of The Path Between the Seas which many cruisers read prior to their Panama Canal sailing.

Many thanks!

One of my favorites is Rising Tide, by John Barry. It centers around the great floods of 1927, but also describes man's mostly unsuccessful efforts to control the river, and the unforeseen consequences of those efforts.

14 hours ago, jgmpuma said:

One of my favorites is Rising Tide, by John Barry. It centers around the great floods of 1927, but also describes man's mostly unsuccessful efforts to control the river, and the unforeseen consequences of those efforts.

Oh, thank you!! This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll definitely be grabbing this one to read.