Day in Piraeus

WisRiver

We are doing back to back cruises departing on each cruise from Piraeus.  This means that we will have a day in Piraeus.  We will have spent a week in Athens before our departure.  Unless we have missed something of major importance, we have decided there is no reason to return to Athens and to stay close to the ship.  We will also have to change cabins before starting our second leg, so we may not be able to start early.

Our Piraeus day is November 2.  Is there a Hop on-Hop off bus?  We would like to have a nice lunch off the ship within walking distance.  I think we are docking at Terminal A.  Any suggestions?

If it wasn’t off season I would suggest hopping on a ferry (40minutes) to Aegina. Having a look at google maps there’s a yacht marina by the Maritime Museum, or at Flisvos (10mins taxi). Marinas/yacht clubs tend to have good restaurants!

This is a few years ago now but we had an overnight in Piraeus and spent the second day before we set sail in the afternoon just walking around the seawall.  We took a local bus to a marina on the far end and worked our way back.  Some parts were very nice.  Other parts were pretty meh.

On the way back, we had a nice lunch at Margaro which is situated just outside the Naval Academy.  Very limited menu of shrimp, fish, and greek salad though.  We only had the fried shrimp and greek salad and it was pretty tasty/delicious.  It's been a few years so YMMV.

I thought I recalled it being a quick walk back to the ship (we were at Terminal C IIRC) but google maps says it's 20min to Terminal A.  

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Matt Barretts 's website on Greece.He has a section on Piraeus, public transportation, things to do, and restaurants. And yes, you could easily take a ferry to Angina or Athina, both small islands very close to Piraeus. Or go to a close beach. Or check out other ideas in Athens from Matt Barrett's website. It has tons of ideas. Its how I planned my entire Greek trip!!

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:54 PM, WisRiver said:

We are doing back to back cruises departing on each cruise from Piraeus.  This means that we will have a day in Piraeus.  We will have spent a week in Athens before our departure.  Unless we have missed something of major importance, we have decided there is no reason to return to Athens and to stay close to the ship.  We will also have to change cabins before starting our second leg, so we may not be able to start early.

Our Piraeus day is November 2.  Is there a Hop on-Hop off bus?  We would like to have a nice lunch off the ship within walking distance.  I think we are docking at Terminal A.  Any suggestions?

We took the ferry to Aegina last time we had a stop in Athens. Beautiful island with great restaurants as another said. If you like seeing religious sights, the monastery of St. Nektarios of Aegina is there and is very beautiful. He is a modern saint of the Orthodox Church and pilgrims go there from all over the world.