Authorization Letter

healer

I'm looking for a template for the letter of authorization to be completed by the absent parent giving consent to take our child out of the country. This is something my travel agent said I would need to type up and have notarized but I'm not sure how to word it. If anyone has had one of these done before, I would appreciate some advice. Also, do you have to have a Photo ID for a minor chlld?

Carnival, Fantasy

Carnival, Paradise, 11/2000

Celebrity, Constellation, 12/2002

Celebrity, Summit, 01/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;06;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Days Until We Sail on the Carnival Celebration

I am a lawyer, but don't take this as legal advice. I don't think it needs to be complicated. Somthing like:

My name is (absent parent). I am the (mother/father) of (child's name), who was born on (birth date) and has a social security number _____ (if applicable). (Your name) is the (father/mother).

(Your name) has my express permission to travel outside the United States with (child's name) from (date) to (date).

You may also want to stick in a paragraph regarding your authority to make decisions concerning medical care. A social security number probably wouldn't be required, but I like to be as specific as possible.

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

I had the same question earlier. Below are the links from hstrybuf. They were very helpful.

Originally posted by hstrybuf:

Here is a link to a sample letter that might help you out. It's for Canadians. I'll look around for something more specific to the US.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/consent_letter-en.asp

Here's another one:

[url="http://isss.binghamton.edu/travel/parent&child.html

To expand on this subject...what happens if the ex does not sign this authorization form? I am sure there are divorced people on these boards whose ex is like mine...a witch (you may insert the rhyming word there if you wish).

While I will not be taking my five your old daughter along on this next cruise (my honeymoon, you know), I may want to bring her along at some time in the future.

If the ex won't sign, is taking the child out of country a no go??

Mike Childs

Celebration 02/23/04

Elation 06/20/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

until honeymoon cruise on Elation

Taking a child out of the country without express WRITTEN authorization from your ex is a big NO NO. Sowhere floating around these boards is a message I posted on this topic. A friend (the custodial parent) was tossed in jail because she took her son out of the country with only a verbal auth. from her ex (the non custodial parent). Long story short - she could not PROVE to authorities that the ex had said it was okay, the kid was taken from her, she was tossed in jail.

don't take a chance - GET IT IN WRITING! If you can't get a written auth go to your lawyer, get permission from a judge, whatever.

as for a photo ID - I'd get one (get a passport - whole other discussion on here!)

I had the same question regarding taking my Grandson on a cruise. I asked Carnival what they required and there answer was nothing. Just pay the fare and proper ID is all they require.

What gives with all the legal stuff?

Sensation 4/29/01

Inspiration 5/4/03

Glory 5/1/04

i am going on a cruise 8/21 - miracle with my daughter and her stepdad - what happens if u ex is no where to be found and does not see his child, then what - i saw from someother message that if ship is going to mexico, then u need written permission; otherwise going to caribbean, nothing is required - hopefully i won't have a problem either

Lefty1, I had this same problem with my daughter before she turned 18. Her father was no where to be found. I took her to Mexico when she was only 17 and at that time I took a copy of my divorce papers stating that I had sole custody. Don't think that I needed to show them but I had them just in case.

Originally posted by woodman:

I had the same question regarding taking my Grandson on a cruise. I asked Carnival what they required and there answer was nothing. Just pay the fare and proper ID is all they require.

What gives with all the legal stuff?

Carnival is right, but only for themselves. It's not Carnival's responsibility. It's yours. In other words, Carnival doesn't require you to follow the law. I'd suggest get something in writing and notarized. Need more help? Seek the first-hour-free from an attorney.

Conquest, we will be with you

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;27;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LittleBit:

Taking a child out of the country without express WRITTEN authorization from your ex is a big NO NO. Sowhere floating around these boards is a message I posted on this topic. A friend (the custodial parent) was tossed in jail because she took her son out of the country with only a verbal auth. from her ex (the non custodial parent). Long story short - she could not PROVE to authorities that the ex had said it was okay, the kid was taken from her, she was tossed in jail.

don't take a chance - GET IT IN WRITING! If you can't get a written auth go to your lawyer, get permission from a judge, whatever.

as for a photo ID - I'd get one (get a passport - whole other discussion on here!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tossed into jail where and under what circumstances? Was the custodial parent set up? I'm sure it happens.

I specifically asked my TA about this topic when I took my daughter on a cruise for her Christmas present last year. I have sole custody of my daughter and my TA said that since I had sole custody, I didn't need my ex's permission, although my ex never objected. Carnival never asked me for anything and neither did any of the port security in Nassau.

So, exactly what law says that a permission slip is required?

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas

Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas

Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada

Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas

Sovereign of the Seas - 4/04 Bahamas Daughter's Birthday Cruise

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Hre is some Info i found for ya Looks like it depends on where you are going. and the cruise line you are on.

http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/DontLeaveHome.htm

Theres a lot of info and a form on that web site for single parents.

TILL THE PARTY STARTS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;9;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

USS Howard W Gilmore

USS Coronado

Uss Ponce

Asault Craft Unit 2

Fascination Mar 03

Miracle May 04

Thanks for the info. I just realized yesterday about needing this info and was going to post the question. I will get it filled out and have my ex sign and get it notarized. Thanks for the heads up. He has already agreed upon it. When I told him I would need him to sign it he was like why do I have to sign it. I told him it was for customs. We have a split custody agreement and it is during his custodial time. Major CYA!

Elation 6/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;06;27;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I want to thank everyone who replied with information regarding this subject. I received much more information than I ever dreamed I get. Once again, Cruise Critic rocks!!

Carnival, Fantasy

Carnival, Paradise, 11/2000

Celebrity, Constellation, 12/2002

Celebrity, Summit, 01/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;06;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Days Until We Sail on the Carnival Celebration

Archived