Blarney Castle from Cobh

Anyone have experience obtaining a shorter tour (4-5 hours) from Cobb to the Blarney Castle, that is reasonably priced?  An overview of Cork highlights and some time at the castle, where we could still have port time seeing Cobh, would be ideal. Would be willing to get a group together from our roll call. 

I did this tour last year.  The current cost on Shore Excursions website is $125.  A lot of people left the tour at the last stop to spend time on Cobh.  There were a lot of pubs with live music in the afternoon.

Scenic Railtour to Cork and Blarney Castle

Check in at the historic Victorian Cóbh Railway Station, which is close to the cruise port, and take your train to Great Island in Cork Harbour for a breathtaking rail excursion. It is known that Cóbh served as the Titanic's final port of call in 1912.

Cork, a city that takes great pride in its location on an island in the middle of the River Lee, is home to several outstanding pubs, a thriving craft beer industry, museums, art galleries, and the ubiquitous bohemian coffee shops. Although she is a metropolis, you will feel as though you are in a tiny local village where people are more relaxed and less in a rush.

Before arriving at Cork Kent Station, your journey continues along the River Lee's banks with views of Blackrock Castle. Drive to the majestic Blarney Castle and Gardens where you may kiss the fabled stone to bestow the gift of eternal eloquence. There is plenty of free time after your arrival to Blarney Village for shopping, sightseeing, and lunch.

Enjoy a tour of Cork City before heading back to Cóbh to see the magnificent St. Colman's Cathedral. The neo-Gothic St. Colman's Cathedral was masterfully designed by Pugin and Ashlin. Construction on it began in 1868 and lasted 47 Years. A 42-bell carillon was installed in 1916. The heaviest bell, which is 200 feet above the ground, and weighs 3.6 tons. 2,468 pipes make up the cathedral organ by Telford & Telford. Visit the Cóbh cemetery, the mass graves of the Lusitania victims, and the grave of the illustrious Jack Doyle before returning to Cóbh Harbour. Visit the the cemetery and then, at your convenience, return to your ship.

22 hours ago, crawford said:

Anyone have experience obtaining a shorter tour (4-5 hours) from Cobb to the Blarney Castle, that is reasonably priced?  An overview of Cork highlights and some time at the castle, where we could still have port time seeing Cobh, would be ideal. Would be willing to get a group together from our roll call. 

I can't recommend a specific one, but I like your thinking... I thought the Blarney Castle grounds were really beautiful but you don't really need that much time there especially if you are willing to give up waiting in line to kiss the stone.  Our line to kiss the stone was short, so we did it, but you really aren't missing much if you don't do that.   A stroll around the beautiful grounds around the castle and then on to Cobh sounds like a good plan. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CCJack said:

I can't recommend a specific one, but I like your thinking... I thought the Blarney Castle grounds were really beautiful but you don't really need that much time there especially if you are willing to give up waiting in line to kiss the stone.  Our line to kiss the stone was short, so we did it, but you really aren't missing much if you don't do that.   A stroll around the beautiful grounds around the castle and then on to Cobh sounds like a good plan. 

Thanks for the feedback. I really don’t need to kiss the Blarney stone, but wanted to see the castle and grounds, as well as have time to check out Cork and Cobh. 

6 hours ago, WendyVF said:

I did this tour last year.  The current cost on Shore Excursions website is $125.  A lot of people left the tour at the last stop to spend time on Cobh.  There were a lot of pubs with live music in the afternoon.

Scenic Railtour to Cork and Blarney Castle

Check in at the historic Victorian Cóbh Railway Station, which is close to the cruise port, and take your train to Great Island in Cork Harbour for a breathtaking rail excursion. It is known that Cóbh served as the Titanic's final port of call in 1912.

Cork, a city that takes great pride in its location on an island in the middle of the River Lee, is home to several outstanding pubs, a thriving craft beer industry, museums, art galleries, and the ubiquitous bohemian coffee shops. Although she is a metropolis, you will feel as though you are in a tiny local village where people are more relaxed and less in a rush.

Before arriving at Cork Kent Station, your journey continues along the River Lee's banks with views of Blackrock Castle. Drive to the majestic Blarney Castle and Gardens where you may kiss the fabled stone to bestow the gift of eternal eloquence. There is plenty of free time after your arrival to Blarney Village for shopping, sightseeing, and lunch.

Enjoy a tour of Cork City before heading back to Cóbh to see the magnificent St. Colman's Cathedral. The neo-Gothic St. Colman's Cathedral was masterfully designed by Pugin and Ashlin. Construction on it began in 1868 and lasted 47 Years. A 42-bell carillon was installed in 1916. The heaviest bell, which is 200 feet above the ground, and weighs 3.6 tons. 2,468 pipes make up the cathedral organ by Telford & Telford. Visit the Cóbh cemetery, the mass graves of the Lusitania victims, and the grave of the illustrious Jack Doyle before returning to Cóbh Harbour. Visit the the cemetery and then, at your convenience, return to your ship.

Thank you, Wendy! This is the type of tour I was hoping to find. I see that Railtours Ireland has a very similar tour for $100, as well. I am curious to see if anyone has experience with Railtours, out of Cobh?