Waterproof bag/Dry Pack Okay for camera?

Mooshmellow

We are planning to go snorkeling on most of our excursions. Our entire party would like to stay together and not leave someone on the beach to "guard" valuables. We will have digital cameras with us but do not want to leave them unattended. Has anyone had luck keeping a camera dry in a waterproof dry pack or similar bag? I am concerned about leaking as well as about possible condensation.

The best protection for you camera would be an underwater housing. You can see if one is available for your camera on http://www.digideep.com.

If you go on a boat snorkel trip, then you can just leave your stuff in a bag on the boat. I don't think I'd trust my electronics to a bag to keep them while snorkeling. Maybe a pelican case, but not a dry bag.

Thanks. I looked into housings for the camera but they are very pricey and we really don't want to use it underwater, so it would be a bit unnecessary. I found a Pelican bag at a good price so we went that direction. For any others who might be looking this is where I found the bag. It is a Pelican micro 1060

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/PL1060.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dmicro%2b1060%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3d%26SortDesc%3dFalse%26Hit%3d1

It is large enought to hold a camera and cellphone or ipod. They do have other sizes as awell.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought an Aquapac housing for my camera. I haven't really used it yet, but I did check it for leakage with a non-valuble item inside. It is indeed waterproof, and the photos taken through it are pretty good.

I used my new Aquapac on multiple snorkel trips during our 14 days on the Sea Princess........they are absolutely waterproof.

Archived