Chikin Ha Cenote Cavern Dive

Shadieeie

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from a week on the Miracle. We went diving at each stop, (GC, Belize, Costa Maya, and Coz)and the cavern dive was the highlight of our cruise. I dived with my son and we were the only cavern customers on that day. Getting to the caverns require a 45 min tender ride and a 30 min van ride. The caverns are large and you can dive side by side in many areas. You will always be able to see a light entering the cavern from either the front or rear. The dive master will have a large light and each diver receives a smaller one. Water will be fresh at the surface and salt water at depth. Maximum dive depth is in the area of 43' and 40 min. The dive went very quickly, and any apprehension is quickly forgotten.. I should have photos next week.

Thanks for your posting on the cenote dive. We've signed up for this dive on our May 2006 cruise with Carnival. We've also booked the atoll trip at Belize. We're pondering the CG options. Can you give us any hints about GC? And, yes, we're looking forward to your pitures as well!

Best regards & happy diving!

I try to use the cruise line for diving at tender ports. In Belize they will load you directly onto the dive boat, as the ride to the dive site is close to an hour. The GC dive was by Don Foster and we found the operation to be quite professional.

Hello,

Belize diving was great through the ship. For Grand Caymen you might want to book directly with a local operator. I have done both, through the ship and with a local operator neptune divers. Neptune Divers provided a great two tank dive. There was 5 divers on the boat with one guide. Turtles, lobsters, and plenty of others fishes, etc were seen.

There web site is http://www.neptunesdivers.com/

If you do a search on of the board for them, you will also see plenty of other recommendations. If you would like further information, please let me know.

Thanks

Nick

• 3 months later...

I can't speak for a cruise excursion, but I went diving in the Dos Ojos Cenote on the Mayan Riviera a few years ago and it is absolutely one of my favourite diving experiences to date. Definitely not to be missed. If I had to choose between a regular dive or a cenote, I would choose the cenote hands down!

Just a note though, if you chill easily definitely wear a wetsuit.

• 4 months later...

Well, I decided on the 3 tank reef dive, but it was canceled. So, by default, I ended up diving Chikin Ha. It was a great consolation prize and I am glad I ended up doing it. We did two dives, and unlike an above post, most of the time you could not see a light at the end of a tunnel, just the flashlights as you explore the underwater caverns and tunnels. It might not be the best bet if you are claustrophobic (sp?). It was on the cool side, but a wetsuit was included in the price (all gear, if you needed it). It was quite unique experience.

• 3 months later...

Myself, DH, DD(15),& DS(14) all dove the cenote May 06 with Triumph, and are going again this April 07 on Legend. If you are an experienced cave diver as my DH, the cavern is not very exciting; but for us open water divers it is a great adventure. The company is professional, all equipment was readily available, plenty of help to carry tanks to the spring. Having previously made this dive, a different cenote would be a treat, but with Carnival, they use the same cenote as that is where the dive operators have a set-up. The price went down about $50 pp since our trip last year, so that was a bonus. Two dives are included, a hoodie is a must, most of your body heat will exit through your head. When you first jump in the water feels refreshing, but for the 2nd dive, the water feels cold instead.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I dove the Chikin Ha Cenote twice. In Jan 07 and again in Jan 08 while on the Carnival Holiday. We were supposed to dive it again last month but we both developed head colds right before the trip and had to cancel the dives. The Cenote was wonderful! We really missed it this year but plan to dive it again in Jan 10.

Archived