sprint180's Quantum to Alaska 6/2/24 - 6/10/24

Hi all, I wasn't going to write a review of my trip but decided to as this is sorta how I document my trips for myself for later.   First, spoiler alert, we had a great cruise.  But, now some history.....

My parents both passed and we sold their house so I decided to take my children on a trip with my portion.  I told my husband that is what I was planning to do with my money and asked him to pick a date that both of my boys could be away.   I have 5 kids ages 26 to 34 ish.  the youngest two work for us on the farm and that is why my husband got to choose the date.  He chose the first week in June which was a surprise to me as that is right after planting and starting in irrigating and haying but anyway......  I called my children into my office one day and told them of my plan.  Gave them the options and they picked the ship.  We would have 19 people traveling at this point so it was quite an undertaking.  That was a year and a half ago, the long wait began.  As I love cruising, I love to get people who have not been on a cruise before to try it.  My kids have all been on cruises one grandchild and a couple of their spouses.   A couple of years ago my daughter, daughter in law and I went on a cruise and she is now hooked.  I knew my other daughter in law would love it (and I was right) so I was also excited for her to go.  When time came to pay off cruise we had to cancel my daughter Amanda' husband and son and my other daughter Megan's husband who doesn't like cruising and stayed home with their very young children.  My daughter Megan had just gotten off maternity leave the week before we left for the cruise so she ended up having to take leave for our cruise.  Too bad baby Ada couldn't have waited one more week to be born!  Anyway, thanks to "Different Grandma" my family was all going on a cruise and I couldn't wait!

• Like 3

So, who is going?  Me - Vicki my children Amanda and daughters Jocelyn and Mary.  Daughter Kate and husband Calvin and kids Lane 14, Bryn 10, Bex 8 , and Rhett 4.  Daughter Megan.  Son Logan and wife Erika and little Mariana 5.  And finally Son Andrew and wife Kylie.  

The plan was for some to fly out of Omaha, and Louisianna, and for our group to drive to Denver and fly to Seattle.  Although I was not enjoying the thought of driving 7 or so hours to the airport then fly the same day that was the plan.   The day before we were to leave it was decided to drive at least half way to the airport the night before then the rest the morning of.  Lane had a baseball game so we couldn't leave until after 6pm so it was going to be a late night.  As we were driving we decided to go all the way as the kids were doing great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Denver we got a hotel and had a good nights rest, then up the next morning to the airport.  Once outside we noticed that many cars had their windows broken out or shattered.  Apparently there had been a hail storm and the people that left their cars in the area were going to come home to a bad surprise.  But we went to the parking lot and parked under a shelter and took the train to the airport.  The airport was a mad house but a couple of our group that came in from Omaha were there to go the rest of the way to Seattle with us.  The kids were terribly nervous to fly but it all turned out great.  Little Rhett who just turned 4 fell asleep  through the flight which is a blessing.  Seattle here we come. Pics to come in the next section.