Post Cruise - Train from Rome to Venice

Denversail

I need to take a train from Rome to Venice when I get off my cruise. The cruise schedule says we disembark in Rome at 5 am. What is a reasonable time to book my train ticket? I will need to get off the ship, get to Termini, store some luggage. I don't want to stress myself out but I'd also like to get to Venice around noon. My preference would be the 8 am train. Anyone try this before?

The ship pulls into the port at 5 AM, that does not mean they start disembarking passengers.

I think the earliest you could possibly make, keeping in mind that you also have to get yourself and your luggage from the ship to the train station, would be the 7:02 regional from Civitavecchia, connecting to the 8:35 Frecce from Termini, arriving to Venice at 12:34, but even this is a risk.  

The safer option is the 7:58 regional from Civitavecchia, which after connecting at Termini puts you in Venice at 13:34 (1:34 PM).

The comfortable option, especially with luggage, is to wait for the first Frecce of the day from Civitavecchia at 9:16, which puts you in Venice at 15:34.  Yes, you give up two or three hours in Venice, but that first hour (from Civitavecchia to Termini) on a regionale is pretty much guaranteed to be miserable on a crowded train, likely with no seats available and no place to put your bags except at your feet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

The ship pulls into the port at 5 AM, that does not mean they start disembarking passengers.

I think the earliest you could possibly make, keeping in mind that you also have to get yourself and your luggage from the ship to the train station, would be the 7:02 regional from Civitavecchia, connecting to the 8:35 Frecce from Termini, arriving to Venice at 12:34, but even this is a risk.  

The safer option is the 7:58 regional from Civitavecchia, which after connecting at Termini puts you in Venice at 13:34 (1:34 PM).

The comfortable option, especially with luggage, is to wait for the first Frecce of the day from Civitavecchia at 9:16, which puts you in Venice at 15:34.  Yes, you give up two or three hours in Venice, but that first hour (from Civitavecchia to Termini) on a regionale is pretty much guaranteed to be miserable on a crowded train, likely with no seats available and no place to put your bags except at your feet.  

Would I be better off taking a taxi from the port to Termini?

If you're going to travel by car you'd do better with a car service rather than a taxi.  Taxis are the better option for local trips, for a longer trip like Civitavecchia to Rome a car service is the better option.