Istanbul-do we need Lira?

I am trying to figure out how to handle Istanbul money wise. We have prepaid tours so will be spending very little money in Turkey. Can I pay tips in Euros (tour guides) What about the public transportation? Pay for tickets with credit card? How have you handled a port stop here?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sheshe01 said:

What about the public transportation?

whilst many vendors will accept credit or debit cards as payment, you may be paying a higher price, and for smaller purchases and incidentals it is always useful to have some local cash currency.

Tour guides would usually be happy to accept tips in turkish lira, £s, US$s or euros.

Edited by edinburgher

We have done Turkey with and without Lira.  If only visiting Kusadasi or Istanbul on 1 or 2 port days, and using pre-paid excursions, one can generally do OK with credit cards and Euros (US Dollars are also OK, but not as popular as Euros).  When we spend time in Turkey (we generally do our own thing) we also like to have some Turkish Lira (which we simply get out of a local ATM.  

Be forewarned that the Turks are very skilled entreprenaurs and experts in the art of bargaining.  Part of the bargaining process (in places like the Covered (Grand) Bazaar) can be how you will pay (cash is best and Lira's are usually the best cash).  Most of the Turks will accept Euros (and often dollars) but at a price (nothing is truly free).  Speaking of bargaining, DW is also quite skilled and once spent nearly an hour bargaining for a high-end small Turkish carpet (which we use as a wall hanging).  That bargaining session included sitting with the shop owner, drinking tea and beer, chatting about our families, etc.  While some might find that a bit much, it is part of their culture and can actually be fun..as long as you are not in a hurry.  

Hank

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have done Turkey with and without Lira.  If only visiting Kusadasi or Istanbul on 1 or 2 port days, and using pre-paid excursions, one can generally do OK with credit cards and Euros (US Dollars are also OK, but not as popular as Euros).  When we spend time in Turkey (we generally do our own thing) we also like to have some Turkish Lira (which we simply get out of a local ATM.  

Be forewarned that the Turks are very skilled entreprenaurs and experts in the art of bargaining.  Part of the bargaining process (in places like the Covered (Grand) Bazaar) can be how you will pay (cash is best and Lira's are usually the best cash).  Most of the Turks will accept Euros (and often dollars) but at a price (nothing is truly free).  Speaking of bargaining, DW is also quite skilled and once spent nearly an hour bargaining for a high-end small Turkish carpet (which we use as a wall hanging).  That bargaining session included sitting with the shop owner, drinking tea and beer, chatting about our families, etc.  While some might find that a bit much, it is part of their culture and can actually be fun..as long as you are not in a hurry.  

Hank

LOL. I am not much of a shopper but that experience sounds wonderful. What a great way to experience local culture. Having spent much time in Latin America I am used to the bargaining process. Do you have any idea what the minimum withdrawl is at atm? My local atm dispense 20 dollar bills. 

9 minutes ago, sheshe01 said:

LOL. I am not much of a shopper but that experience sounds wonderful. What a great way to experience local culture. Having spent much time in Latin America I am used to the bargaining process. Do you have any idea what the minimum withdrawl is at atm? My local atm dispense 20 dollar bills. 

No idea of the minimum (we are usually more concerned with daily maximums :).  I should mention that DW and I enjoy Turkey so much, that we recently decided to do a stop-over on our way to Tokyo.  While it means going the long way round (to Japan) it lets fly on one of our favorite airlines (Turkish Air) and gets us to Turkey for free (the wonders of using airline stop-over schemes).  I should mention that for those who have never experienced the Business Class lounge at IST, it is something to behold.  

Hank