Sharks, jellyfish, sand fleas, etc.

just_me

Bermuda does have Portuguese Man-o-Wars but you don't see them near the shore too often and are easy to spot. Most beaches have signs warning beachgoers to stay away from them but it's unlikely that you'll see one.

There are mosquitoes in Bermuda but they are usually found only in certain areas of the island. I've never been bitten by mosquitoes at the beach or in town but you might want to have bug spray handy if you're planning on wandering around places like the railway trail. There are also mosquitos at the Zoo but August-September is when they get bad there, June is pretty good.

I've never encountered sand fleas in Bermuda.

I've never heard of anyone encountering a potentially dangerous shark at a beach in Bermuda. There are sharks out in the open ocean but for some reason I don't think they come into the reefs all that often. Why I don't know. Anyway don't worry about sharks.

They also have very large rats and these huge roaches that are similar to the palmetto bugs you find in Hawaii or Florida...I know they were always spraying for these bugs so that the tourists don't get a shock...those bug bugs on white cement at night are a sight to see....as far as the rats...I think they are most commonly found along the waterfront:cool:

You should be careful of getting sunburn, there is relatively little to be careful of in the way of sea life.

A Portuguese Man-o-War isn’t really a jellyfish but it stings like one, you can spot them easily because the have a bubble-like float that well, floats on the surface. The sting hurts like you wouldn’t believe, but is very rarely fatal. Like I said, they are easy to spot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_of_war

There are moon jellyfish, which get more common in July, these guys have a mildly irritating sting, it kind of itches for a half an hour, but that’s it.

There have been something like 4 shark attacks in the past 100 years; you have nothing to worry about.

I’ve never heard of sand fleas here.

Probably the riskiest thing you could do is rent a scooter, it pains me to say it, but our roads are more deadly than our beaches.

I hope I haven’t scared anyone, I’m just trying to be realistic.

Archived