Silver Wind Arctic Expedition : June 14th - 26th

Port Power

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

No problems if you don't want to use a zodiac. Best though to tell an Expedition staffer before hand as they may think they need to wait for you. They won't wait long though.

As to being fit it is not a problem if you aren't. On our cruise up the west African coast on the Explorer a wheelchair bound woman in her nineties was taken ashore in a zodiac a couple of times. The staff really went out of their way to help.

I have seen zodiacs returning to the ship in absolutely terrible conditions. Once it was I who was last to board. The weather turned quickly at Cape Dorset and I was in the last zodiac back. It was a ride of over 2 miles back to the Explorer. I was last off the boat. The 2 crew on the ship had hold of an arm each. As I stepped onto the ladder the zodiac dropped about 2 minutes and there I was swinging in the breeze. At that stage I weighed 110KG without all the cold weather gear. I didn't panic because I had seen similiar things before. Eventually the zodiac came back to me and very quickly I was onboard.

Again I was not terribly fit but went on the hikes. On a couple of occasions I couldn't keep up. A staff member would drop back and we worked out a plan. Often returning the way I came.

This is mostly very helpful and reassuring, as is Port Power's post #74.  However, where you say "the zodiac dropped about 2 minutes and there I was swinging in the breeze", I hope you meant that the zodiac dropped  2 *feet* or 2 *meters*  and not 2 minutes!  Two minutes  would be a long time to be swinging and have two guys holding you up by your arms ) 😳

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

This is mostly very helpful and reassuring, as is Port Power's post #74.  However, where you say "the zodiac dropped about 2 minutes and there I was swinging in the breeze", I hope you meant that the zodiac dropped  2 *feet* or 2 *meters*  and not 2 minutes!  Two minutes  would be a long time to be swinging and have two guys holding you up by your arms ) 😳

Definitely 2 metres. I caught the fact that the phone wanted to change it to 2 minutes this time.

• Haha 2

Wednesday, 26 June, 2024.  Disembarkation.

I know people often ask about the procedure.  It was easy and relaxed.  Cases were put outside last night by 11:00pm.  Some people partied on in Dolce Vita, but most returned to their suites.  As the charter flight used the airport proper (not a separate private hangar), the usual liquids rules applied.

Suites needed to be vacated by 8:00am, so carry-ons were lining the corridor outside restaurants.  La Terrazza was very busy, but The Restaurant was nice and relaxed.  Then just wait in any of the lounges until your luggage tag was called.  My purple tag was called at 9:30am, as was stated in the letter in my suite last night.  We walked out to the bus and were driven to the airport, about 10 minutes.  On alighting there were ”guides” standing further along, but they didn’t say or do anything, not even motion to us to come closer.  This was the only let down in the whole process.  Eventually we did walk closer and then saw our luggage around the corner.  Purpled tagged luggage only, so the “guides” only unpack each colour group as appropriate.

We rolled our cases inside, parkas carried on worn as back packs, and joined the check in queue.  Then through security into the seating areas.  All that didn’t take very long at all.  There was a bit of last minute shopping for fluffy toys!

We saw the plane arrive about 10:40 and the new guests disembark.  We assumed they would be going on a coach tour of Svalbard before joining the ship for lunch.

The charter aircraft was a Boeing 737-800, with the middle seat left empty all along except for the crew members in the rear seats.  There are always crew changeovers whenever the ship starts a new cruise.  A very nice meal was served during the 2hr 50min flight.

After collecting luggage from the carousel on arrival and exiting the baggage area, there were a couple of agents holding Silversea signs.  So there is nothing to worry about at all.  If you are doing your own thing, signs to the train platform were clear, or taxis.

I am about to head to the airport for my ongoing flight, this now bring Thursday morning.  Thank you all for following along and for your “likes” and comments. I do appreciate them. 😀

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Wednesday, 26 June, 2024.  Disembarkation.

I know people often ask about the procedure.  It was easy and relaxed.  Cases were put outside last night by 11:00pm.  Some people partied on in Dolce Vita, but most returned to their suites.  As the charter flight used the airport proper (not a separate private hangar), the usual liquids rules applied.

Suites needed to be vacated by 8:00am, so carry-ons were lining the corridor outside restaurants.  La Terrazza was very busy, but The Restaurant was nice and relaxed.  Then just wait in any of the lounges until your luggage tag was called.  My purple tag was called at 9:30am, as was stated in the letter in my suite last night.  We walked out to the bus and were driven to the airport, about 10 minutes.  On alighting there were ”guides” standing further along, but they didn’t say or do anything, not even motion to us to come closer.  This was the only let down in the whole process.  Eventually we did walk closer and then saw our luggage around the corner.  Purpled tagged luggage only, so the “guides” only unpack each colour group as appropriate.

We rolled our cases inside, parkas carried on worn as back packs, and joined the check in queue.  Then through security into the seating areas.  All that didn’t take very long at all.  There was a bit of last minute shopping for fluffy toys!

We saw the plane arrive about 10:40 and the new guests disembark.  We assumed they would be going on a coach tour of Svalbard before joining the ship for lunch.

The charter aircraft was a Boeing 737-800, with the middle seat left empty all along except for the crew members in the rear seats.  There are always crew changeovers whenever the ship starts a new cruise.  A very nice meal was served during the 2hr 50min flight.

After collecting luggage from the carousel on arrival and exiting the baggage area, there were a couple of agents holding Silversea signs.  So there is nothing to worry about at all.  If you are doing your own thing, signs to the train platform were clear, or taxis.

I am about to head to the airport for my ongoing flight, this now bring Thursday morning.  Thank you all for following along and for your “likes” and comments. I do appreciate them. 😀

Thanks for the great report and pictures. It brought back great memories of our first SS cruise on the PA 2 as it was then. A few differences as all the walrus had hauled out elsewhere but as compensation we did see 8 polar bears feeding on a whale carcass including a mother and cub. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Port Power said:

Men tended to wear long sleeved shirts and jumpers/pullovers over jeans or sturdy slacks. Women wore long sleeved jumpers, plain or patterned.  Nice noises came out for the Welcome and Farewell nights.  No jeans and t-shirts. No formal.  Thick pants and parkas at The Grill!  Overall, nice casual.

Thank you for the help. 
Can you elaborate a bit on “Nice Noises” for dinners?

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

There will usually be a breifing about the following days activities.  The Expedition Leader will give many details including, the expected weather, how far the zodiac ride is, wet or dry landing, what the terrain will be like and expected conditions, are poles recommended.  When they call your groups for zodiac loading they will often give you a heads up about current conditions. For example, it could be a splashy ride, it's very windy, bumpy ride etc. You can then make a decision if the shore expedition is worth it.  No need to let them know your decision unless you have signed for a specific activity.

Do I really need to climb that slippery hill in the pouring rain? Maybe a lie in, room service and a good book. 😃

Fyi, if it's a splashy ride and I still want to make landing, but the rain pants are overkill on shore, I just stuff them in a back pack once landed.

• Like 3

@Catlover54 You got some excellent answers to your questions. I want to add that you might want to consider sailing on the Endeavour, which has the latest technology and a really well-designed platform for boarding Zodiacs. I kind of like the thrill of boarding a bouncing Zodiac, but I did notice a lot less stumbling and fear among other passengers boarding from the Endeavour in the Arctic versus the same procedure on the Cloud or Explorer. 

I'll also add that the staffing changes with the conditions. On my recent trip from Cape to Cape there would always be at least two seamen but often more, plus the Zodiac driver standing in the boat to help you get on the pontoon and then the step (the box was always there). Our expedition leader would be stationed on the stairway in case extra help was needed. Nobody got hurt in 21 days of dynamic sea conditions (well, except for the woman who broke her leg on our first hike!). There was some excitement, of course, but the Cloud crew handled it all beautifully.

On that recent trip there was about 98% participation on the Zodiac excursions, which is far more than typical. It was a self-selecting group, I guess. The expedition crew were somewhat amazed at the level of interest in Zodiac rides!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

You mean like this day?

Sorry about the hijack PP.  We did miss you on this trip.😁

In hot weather, getting drenched isn’t a problem.  In cold climates, that’s what dry pants are for!  It was depressingly calm during my trip. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Port Power said:

In hot weather, getting drenched isn’t a problem.  In cold climates, that’s what dry pants are for!  It was depressingly calm during my trip. 😂

In the Kimberley, we even looked forward to it!