Trollstigen is closed!

We received the following notice from our tour operator that Trollstigen is closed.  Any thoughts?  It seems like this is a pretty big change.  Do we still want to do this tour?

it was announced today that Trollstigen has been closed for the season. According to a press release from Møre og Romsdal kommune, the risk of falling rocks poses too great a danger to keep the road open until adequate safety measures are implemented.

Although we will not be driving on Trollstigen, we will still have the opportunity to view Trollstigen from the scenic viewing platforms (the iconic view, you’ve likely seen in photos). These platforms offer breathtaking views over the road and of the dramatic beauty of the area.

Due to the necessary detour around the backside of Trollstigen, we will not be able to include our planned short stop at Trollveggen, as this change in route means we will no longer be passing through Åndalsnes.

1 hour ago, chocchic said:

Do we still want to do this tour?

Sorry to read this as you won't be the ony ones affected.

What a tough  decision to have to make as the drive up and down on the twisty road is part of the dramatic  overall experience. And we stopped for a short time at  Trollveggen on the way back,  even watched a small number of climbers. Without both of these elements I don't think we would have enjoyed this tour as much as we did.

We did Trollstigen trip, but we only know what the view was like because of a photo in the visitor centre due to low cloud!  Never saw the top of Trollveggen.

Closure is not unheard of and if you look at the route you can see where it has been damaged previously and new stretches of road laid.

However if both Trollstigen and Trollveggen are missed the trip probably isn't worth it.

We also booked this tour and have been debating if we want to take the adjusted tour or not.  I have been researching other options but with length of time we have in port that day, I'm struggling with what our plan B would look like. 

15 hours ago, LuvIG's said:

I have been researching other options but with length of time we have in port that day, I'm struggling with what our plan B would look like. 

As the Trollstigen excursion is offered from more than one port,you may get suggestions if you say which  port it is.😀

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LuvIG's said:

The port is Alesund.

In that case, a good Plan B is deefinitely possible

Popular with cruise pax as you dock centrally, it is super easy to DIY and there are a number of sights for you to choose from. Many past threads with info and suggestions so do use the easy search tool to find them if you have not already done so.  This to help you get started and do use the link in post #4 for even more info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2860877-alesund-in-7-hours-help/#comment-63424351

Edited by edinburgher

We are scheduled for this tour next week from Alesund and received a similar modification from the tour operator, who also will add in the village of Valldal and Aksla Viewpoint in Ålesund to make up for the missed stops.  I think we will still take the tour and hope the clouds are forgiving at the view point.  clouds and fog are a risk the whole trip anyway.  Honestly, my DH was worried about getting nauseas on the hairpin turns that now are closed.  So it may have worked out for the best.  

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Norway cruise on the Sky Princess and had been scheduled to do this tour through Norway Excursions. I had some reservations about a nearly 8 hour bus tour, but the lure of driving that road and seeing Trollveggen won me over. Once both of those aspects were gone, we opted to cancel. Alesund is a gorgeous little city with a lot to do and we had a great day there - I would have been sad to miss out on spending time in such a charming place to do a tour that really wasn’t able to deliver on the main attraction. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 12:02 AM, ejsnyc said:

We are scheduled for this tour next week from Alesund and received a similar modification from the tour operator, who also will add in the village of Valldal and Aksla Viewpoint in Ålesund to make up for the missed stops.  I think we will still take the tour and hope the clouds are forgiving at the view point.  clouds and fog are a risk the whole trip anyway.  Honestly, my DH was worried about getting nauseas on the hairpin turns that now are closed.  So it may have worked out for the best.  

Did you end up taking this tour? Was your tour with Norway Excursions? We are trying to decide whether or not to cancel our tour in August and would love input from someone who has taken the tour with the modifications.

Yes.  We had a great tour (as well as a great cruise on the Silver Dawn).  We had signed up for the small group tour with http://www.localtrips.no/.  The other couple cancelled so it was just the driver (a wonderful retired police chief from Alesund) and the two of us in a Mercedes.  The scenery is stunning on the way up to troll road (waterfalls, farms, fjords, coastal villages, mountains, churches, fresh strawberries).  Unfortunately, we did not get to see the troll road from above as the fog was very thick by the time we got up to the viewing station.  But others from our cruise who did the tour at another time did get to see the road as the fog had lifted.  That is Norway (luckily, we had beautiful days on the most impressive fjord ports - Geiranger and Flam.  On the way back, we stopped at a viewing point on a hill in Alesund to see the city below.  We had a great time and i highly recommend the small group tour from local trips (Trond is the manager).  Probably would still have had fun on the cruise tour on the tourist bus but would not have been as special, especially since we were able to converse with our local driver the entire time and find out about his life and the people of Norway.  

We are boarding the Silver Dawn next week and currently have the troll road tour booked. We are contemplating cancelling it because of the changed itinerary. is there anyone who has done the cruise tour and would care to comment on their experience? It would be greatly appreciated!

We are also on Silver Dawn, but in 2 weeks.  We decided to pass on the ship tour and instead go with a local tour - smaller group, 60% of the cost, slightly shorter, and we could actually look at the post-closure reviews.  Those reviews have largely been positive, so that is our strategy. 

10 hours ago, Reunionmama said:

We are also on Silver Dawn, but in 2 weeks.  We decided to pass on the ship tour and instead go with a local tour - smaller group, 60% of the cost, slightly shorter, and we could actually look at the post-closure reviews.  Those reviews have largely been positive, so that is our strategy. 

Are you allowed to share which tour you are taking?

Posted (edited)

Sure - Viator trip, "Tour from Alesund to Trollstigen, The Land Of The Trolls".  I don't have any personal knowledge, just operating off of reviews.  Also, the operator proactively reached out to explain that Trollstigen was closed and that they had added two alternative stops. Tour link.  We will be on the tour Aug 5.

Edited by Reunionmama

1 hour ago, Reunionmama said:

Sure - Viator trip, "Tour from Alesund to Trollstigen, The Land Of The Trolls".  I don't have any personal knowledge, just operating off of reviews.  Also, the operator proactively reached out to explain that Trollstigen was closed and that they had added two alternative stops. Tour link.  We will be on the tour Aug 5.

Thanks so much for the info!! 😊

Any updates from anyone?

We are leaving at the end of Sept and doing this tour:  Tour from Alesund to Trollstigen, The Land Of The Trolls, at the beginning of Oct. 

If you have done the tour recently, please share your experience.  Would you recommend it?

We did this tour today with Local Trips AS. They did an outstanding job - communicated well in advance (including noticing that we docked at an alternative terminal and picking us up), had a great and enthusiastic tour guide, used a spotless new Mercedes van, and were laser focused on getting us back to our ship on time. The closure of Trollstigen was a non- issue for the day - still got the great view, avoiding the gut-wrenching hairpin turns. Very nice opportunity to penetrate beyond the cruise port bubble inland to Norwegian villages and countryside. Highly recommend. 

On 7/29/2024 at 10:28 PM, danny8826 said:

Any updates from anyone?

We are leaving at the end of Sept and doing this tour:  Tour from Alesund to Trollstigen, The Land Of The Trolls, at the beginning of Oct. 

If you have done the tour recently, please share your experience.  Would you recommend it?

Trollstigen will be closed through the end of 2024 due to the continued risks of rockslides.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips-a-z/norwegian-scenic-routes/trollstigen-road-closed-2024/

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

Trollstigen will be closed through the end of 2024 due to the continued risks of rockslides.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips-a-z/norwegian-scenic-routes/trollstigen-road-closed-2024/

Thank you for the info.  We have canceled our Trollstigen tour and staying in town to explore Alesund.  The revised itinerary they offered only take us to the viewpoint.  We are not even going to Trollstigenfoten (the foot of Trollstigen).

If we return to Alesund one day, we will do this tour.  

16 hours ago, danny8826 said:

If we return to Alesund one day, we will do this tour.

or  from  Åndalsnes, the other port from which trollstigen tours are usually offered. We did ours from Andalsnes and as  it is closer to Trollstigen than Alesund, the day isn't quite as long and the cost a little lower.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

or  from  Åndalsnes, the other port from which trollstigen tours are usually offered. We did ours from Andalsnes and as  it is closer to Trollstigen than Alesund, the day isn't quite as long and the cost a little lower.

Thank you, but our ship doesn't go to that port.

We are looking at going above the arctic circle for next year or two to see the northern lights.  We know we won't be seeing the northern lights on our upcoming cruise.