Dubrovnik - wall tour or kayak tour in evening?

We'll be in Dubrovnik overnight in July on our cruise, and are deciding what to do in the evening. We will plan to walk the walls while in Dubrovnik, either on our own (in AM on 2nd day) or with a tour in the evening, since I have found a couple of walk the walls tours that take place around 530pm). Another option on an excursion site (SEG) is a kayaking trip in the evening, seeing the city/walls from the water, visiting a cave, etc. This would conflict with the walls tour, but we could do it if we walked the walls on our own the next day. FWIW, walking the walls on day 2 in AM would be followed by a Game of Thrones tour @ 11 am.

I guess my question is whether the walls are better to walk in morning or evening, and whether a tour on the walls is better time spent (with our relatively limited time in Dubrovnik) than the kayaking trip, which sounds nice/fun, but maybe not a quintessential Dubrovnik activity? Maybe a tour for the walls is not needed? And also wondering if its "too much" to do walls followed by another walking tour on day 2. Just trying to make the most of our time there, any thoughts appreciated.

Can't comment on the kayak option. Regarding the walls, though:

Although a good guide can always enhance your visit, you probably don't *need* one for walking the walls - guide books or online research should suffice. It's a great walk with excellent vistas and numerous points of interest, but not very complicated.

The GOT tour will probably take you back up to the walls, by the way. Several points were used as shooting locations.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, ebs0303 said:

walking the walls on day 2 in AM would be followed by a Game of Thrones tour @ 11 am.

No tour is necessary for walking the walls.  You literally go up the stairs and walk around them admiring the views out to sea and down into the Old Town.  As already mentioned there should be online info should you feel you need more than that. And yes, it can get very hot up there so first thing in the morning or late evening would be cooler.  Remember to check opening days and times and carry water.

And the GOT tours are available, of course they are, but there are also a number of "self guided walking tours of Dubrovnik GOT locations" which you could do at your own pace and at a time which fits with your other sightseeing plans for both days. These are easily found online by using relevant wording. and will cost you nothing at all.

By not doing a walls "tour" or even a GOT tour, you will have much more flexibility to include these activies in your other sightseeing plans,and you can go at your own pace starting and stopping when it suits you.

OTOH, the evening kayaking tour sounds like a fun thing to do and is perhaps not as easy to do yourseves so would be worth considering..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

We spent a few days in Dubrovnik when we were touring Croatia ourselves. But we never did a kayak tour. IMO, the walk the wall is unique in Dubrovnik so you must not miss it. We did ours in the evening so you could catch the sunset view as well as the after dark view of all the houses below. I think it is better than the morning walk (though i haven't done it myself)

I am not sure kayaking in the dark is a good idea. Also even though it is quite unique to look at the city wall from the sea you probably can't see much because the wall would be pretty high and most of the buildings are enclosed within the wall (and lower as well) which means u couldn't see much from below, unless you are far far away.

Having said that kayaking would be a different way to tour Dubrovnik but the priority should be on the city wall walk.

PS you don't need to join a tour. You just follow the route (one way) and do some research beforehand on the points of interests