Family questions from 1st Time Cruisers

Stacy&family

I have really enjoyed reading these message boardsds!!

I have a few questions if anyone can help.

1)My family and I are booked on the Majesty 5/28 out of Boston. We are booked in cabin 430. (superior ocean view) Is this the 108 ft size or the larger size?

2)Will our daughters (5&7) be together in the kids program or will they be seperated? They would much rather be together if possible.

3)Can the kids order what they want from the menu or are they limited to the children's choices? Our older daughter loves "good" food.

4)Do they children need to dress up for the formal nights or will skirts/capris do? (they do not enjoy dressing up)

We are so excited and I am looking forward to any responses we might receive.

Thanks

Superior Ocean View is a larger one. I think 145 sq ft.

Cabin 432

• Cabin Square Footage (145)
  • Duvet
  • Hair Dryer (1)
  • Safety Deposit Box (1)
  • Television (1)
  • Telephone (1)
  • Port Side
  • Shower (1)
  • Bed Boards (1)
  • Rollaway Bed (1)
  • Crib (1)
  • Convertible Lower Beds (2)
  • Pullman Bed (2)
  • Refrigerator (1)
  • Midship Section
  • Oceanview Stateroom
  • Picture Window (1)
  • Pier forward
  • Sprinklers
  • Bed Rails (1)

Yours should be just about the same.

I have had good luck and bad luck in having the kids in a group other than the one they "belong" in. Absolutely do not try to lie about their ages.

JUNIOR SAILORS (AGE 2-5)Children’s pool area*

Age-specific games

Painting

Pizza making

Arts and crafts

Family activities

Treasure search

FIRST MATES (AGE 6-9)Children’s pool area*

Games and classes

Treasure search

Painting

Pizza Making

Storytelling

Movies

The kids can order from kids or adults or both. Whatever they want. If one likes the soup for example on the adult but then wants mac & cheese, that works. If you are in the mood for Hot Dogs, that works too.

Really no one "needs" to dress up for formal night.

We are taking our 5th Majesty cruise in July. I'm jealous because I would rather go in May but with the kids in high school, taking them out of school doesn't work well anymore. We did go Memorial week in 2002 and loved it.

The kids counselors can run hot or cold. Some are nice and some are NOT. It seems to be a luck of the draw. Some will let the kids into another group, some won't.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much for your answer. When you went on your cruise in 2002 were there other school age children there? About how many? I know we will have a great time especially if we can combine family time with couple time while we know our girls are safe and happily occupied.:) :)

I know there were plenty of kids. Unfortunately it was not a good "kids crew" trip for us. When we sailed the year before in June, the kids had the best time of their lives. My daughter was a year too young to go in the same group with my son. I talked to the counselors and they had me fill out the form like she was a year older. No problem. The kids had a blast.

The following year we went with another couple who also had two kids. Three of the four were in one group. The one who wasn't the right age was short by 2 or 3 weeks. Her mother and I filled out the form as if she was the older age (like I did the previous year for my daughter.) The counselors were mad as they felt we had lied and wouldn't let her in the group. They ended up letting her in but the kids were uncomfortable and felt the counselors were "mean" to them.

I have heard they are more receptive to kids being moved down rather than up, but we didn't have luck with that on the Dawn last April.

My advice is to wait until the end of the kids crew orientation the first night. Hopefully you can get a feel as to who you want to talk to and then be all nice and sweet.

Good Luck. If it was my kids I would tell them that they won't be in the same group, so as to prepare them, then hope for the best.

I can almost assure you the kids have to stay within their age group and there are reasons for this. Of course some kids are much more mature than others and would do quite well with one age up group, but this is like starting school. (well not quite) the breakoff is there for a reason. As much as they might enjoy being together they will make so many friends they will soon forget they are separated.

As for eating, your question has been answered, yes the kids can eat off any menu they choose and will enjoy trying new foods.

Do they have to dress up on formal nights? No, neither do you if you choose to go casual, but no shorts or anything like that. Capris are fine if that is what they want to wear.

NMNita

I can almost assure you the kids have to stay within their age group and there are reasons for this. Of course some kids are much more mature than others and would do quite well with one age up group, but this is like starting school. (well not quite) the breakoff is there for a reason. As much as they might enjoy being together they will make so many friends they will soon forget they are separated.

NMNita

I agree to a point, but...it's the same old one person is allowed to do something and someone else isn't. I've been on both ends and the enjoyment level of the kids can help make or break the parent's cruise.

We were on the Dream March 11 sailing. My daughter is 9 and was in the 6 - 9 program. One lady tried to have her child and a cousin in the same group and they refused, she then lied and said one was having a Birthday while on the ship. When they verified the ages from the ship manifest they put her back in the correct group. The lady was livid.

My daughter seemed too old for the 6- 9 program and did not love it. However, my son who was 13 had a blast. When they ask him about her he told them that she did not like it, the director contacted us and ask what they could do to try and accomodate her. She went to some of the activities after that but mostly enjoyed spending time with us.

My daughter has loved the Kids Crew on all three NCL cruises she has been on. (Age 5, 7,8). She can't wait to go back this summer.

Every NCL Cruise that I have been on, they have been very strict on the ages and I too have seen people try every trick in the book. They have the manifest and they know the actual age of the child. The reason is simple: if the rules are enforced without exception, then you don't have problems with people saying "well they let me on my last cruise" and you don't have to put the burden on the staff to deterimine who is "mature" enough to go up, etc.

As far as eating, my daughter always ordered off of both. She loves soup, so she would order that and then order chicken nuggets or a cheeseburger off the kids menu! Not a problem. Not all waiters are great with kids, so if you find one that is, ask for that one back!! The kids can also order off the Kids Menu in the specialty restuarants too. It is the same kids menu throughout the ship.

As far as dress is concerned: All NCL formal nights are OPTIONAL for all. If you or they don't want to dress up, you don't have to. Only about 40% of the people will dress up even on formal night and that 40% will range from tuxes to shirt and tie. Most kids do not dress up. I have seen tables where formal and non formal are mixed amongst adults not to mention kids. The joy of Freestyle, everybody can dress as they want, when they want!!

The final thing is the hours of Kids CLub, it is open from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and there is a morning and afternoon session on sea days. It is not open during port time. Between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. and during port times, you can pay for group babysitting in the Kids Club Room. You have to sign up for this ahead of time (the day before) and there has to be enough interest to offer it. There are not specific activities and I believe the kids are not seperated by age during these pay babysitting periods.

Hope this helps.

Archived