Casa Kimberly in Puerto Vallarta

memetoava

Should we take a taxi to Casa Kimberly from the cruise port - can we get inside the hotel if we aren't staying there?

Also, what is the taxi fare from port to Malecon in Puerto Vallarta?  If we want to see both..go to Casa Kimberly first, then PV?

12 hours ago, memetoava said:

Should we take a taxi to Casa Kimberly from the cruise port - can we get inside the hotel if we aren't staying there?

Also, what is the taxi fare from port to Malecon in Puerto Vallarta?  If we want to see both..go to Casa Kimberly first, then PV?

We have been to that building, a few times, for dinner at The Iguana...which is their restaurant only opened for dinner.  In order to get to the restaurant, you do walk through the lobby/courtyard.  But somebody always opened the door, when we arrived, and I am not sure whether one can just walk in, off the street.  It sure would not be high on my list of places to see in PV.  If you do go, just tell them you want to look at the facility and are thinking of booking a week for a future trip :).

As to the taxi fare, if you get a taxi from inside the port, you must use the so-called federal taxis (they have a federal franchise to only pick-up at the port) which charge a fixed fee per person.  It used to be $5 US to town, but I would not be surprised if the price has increased in the past couple of years.  Outside of the port area, you can catch one of the local yellow taxis (which can also be white) and you would need to negotiate a price.  If paying in Pesos, it will likely be about !50 Mexican pesos ($8) for the entire taxi.  If they think you are off a cruise ship, the drivers will generally ask for a higher price (perhaps 200 pesos).   You can have them drop you anywhere in Centro (town) including Casa Kimberly....which is located quiet a few blocks uphill from the Malecon.  The taxi drivers will accept US Dollars, but you are not likely to get a good exchange rate.

Hank

On 6/27/2024 at 7:38 AM, memetoava said:

Great information Hank..thanks so much!  If not high on your list..what other highlights would you recommend seeing in PV?

Highlights depend on your own taste.  We once went to PV on a cruise and were sharing a dinner table with 3 other couples.  They voted that we should be their guides in PV.  So we took them from the port into town on the local bus (10 pesos per person) and to some lower priced bars.  That turned out to be the entire day since they enjoyed sitting at the beach/bar, eating cheap Mexican food, and drinking 1 dollar beers!  LOL.

Many cruisers will just take a taxi to the Rosita Hotel, which is at the north end of the Malecon.  They then walk the entire Malecon browsing shops, eating venues, etc.  You can go off the Malecon to walk up to the church,  As you get near the Rio Cujale (which separates Centro from the Romantic Zone/Old Town) there is a flea market a few blocks towards your left.  They sell mostly tourist junk, but crusiers seem to enjoy it.  You then continue over the Rio Cujale into the Romantic Zone (where we live) to look at the shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc.  There are taxis around town (and a few taxi stands) so it is easy to get a taxi back to the port.

For those that want to take a day trip to the beach, the Los Caletas tour (it will be offered by your ship) does provide a decent beach day with OK food and nice facilities.  If you are there until later at night (some ships stay until about 10 or 11) they will offer an excursion called Rhythms of the Night (also located at Las Caletas) which is a decent, but pricey.  Going to Los Caletas involves a 45 min boat ride (from the port).

Hank

Again, we thank you for such an extensive description about things to do and see in PV..we are excited to see the Mexican Riviera!  We will definitely keep in mind all that you have posted.

Sounds like your dinner friends enjoyed where you took them.  If I buy vanilla (and you may not know this answer), where can I find authentic vanilla (not laced with a bunch of other ingredients).  Many thanks.

4 hours ago, memetoava said:

Again, we thank you for such an extensive description about things to do and see in PV..we are excited to see the Mexican Riviera!  We will definitely keep in mind all that you have posted.

Sounds like your dinner friends enjoyed where you took them.  If I buy vanilla (and you may not know this answer), where can I find authentic vanilla (not laced with a bunch of other ingredients).  Many thanks.

Ahhh, the ole vanilla question.  DW is not even a fan of Mexican vanilla (she uses stuff from Madagascar or Tahiti) but we do know some fans.  There is a small vanilla shop located near our condo (it is behind a parking garage called Plaza Juarez) located near the Rio Cujale (about 1 block from the Malecon).  It is called Le Casa de la Vainilla.  But it is a one-man shop and he seems to keep strange hours.  He does sell all kinds of good vanilla including real beans.  I would think that Walmart (located across the road from the cruise port) sells real vanilla...but we have never looked.  We know some folks swear by the "Orlando:" brand, but if we were going to buy that stuff it would be easier to just do it on Amazon :).  

I should add that real vanilla extract and beans are not inexpensive in Mexico.