Marella and tendering

Posted (edited)

Hi,

We know that P&O have a 'test' for passengers to ensure that they are able to use the tenders safely.

I think it is that they have to step over about 18 inches and over a step independently.

Is there such a test on Marella? 

We have a friend who is able to walk unaided with a walking stick but would struggle to stride that gap 

totally unaided without anyone to support and we want to check before booking as one or two ports are down as tender.

(Well Santorini isn't but am guessing that it will be).

Thanks for any help you can offer

Edited by Presto2

We've just come back from such a cruise. Santorini and Mykonos were both tenders operated by the Port Authority, rather than the ship. In both cases there were Marella staff on the ships platform, and staff in the tender boats to offer assistance. 

I didn't see any evidence of ability testing.

1 hour ago, Andy24v said:

We've just come back from such a cruise. Santorini and Mykonos were both tenders operated by the Port Authority, rather than the ship. In both cases there were Marella staff on the ships platform, and staff in the tender boats to offer assistance. 

I didn't see any evidence of ability testing.

Thanks for this. My friend is able to walk confidently with a stick and is only small and (she'd be pleased that I say this) is only about 8 and a half stones in weight. Having said that, I do know that tendering can be difficult dependant on the weather conditions and fully understand that the cruise ship crew can not be expected to lift people.

My wife hurt her knee a couple of months ago and although it was getting better, she managed to jar it during the sea day before Santorini. She was in quite a bit of pain, but as Santorini was one of the highlights of the cruise, she still wanted to go ashore. She managed the tender OK both ways. One other thing is, the seas were very calm, so it was easy to step on and off the tender boat. 

26 minutes ago, Andy24v said:

My wife hurt her knee a couple of months ago and although it was getting better, she managed to jar it during the sea day before Santorini. She was in quite a bit of pain, but as Santorini was one of the highlights of the cruise, she still wanted to go ashore. She managed the tender OK both ways. One other thing is, the seas were very calm, so it was easy to step on and off the tender boat. 

Thanks. Tendering is one of those things you can't predict I suppose. No fun of its really choppy but ok if it is still and calm ! Hope your wife's knee is getting better.

Hi Presto

As someone who walks with a crutch and have done for years and who has also been on countless Marella cruises there is no such test for tenders.Always found the staff that man the tenders very helpful on making sure those that have issues get on safely

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Hi Presto

As someone who walks with a crutch and have done for years and who has also been on countless Marella cruises there is no such test for tenders.Always found the staff that man the tenders very helpful on making sure those that have issues get on safely

That's a great help. Thanks for the info. :-)