Mazalton observatory and bird sanctuary

Our ship (HAL) offers this along with a drink at Skyview bar/Cafe. I understand the observatory is a 20 min walk from Port. Anyone do this own their own? Take a taxi? Dad loves birds and the observatory looks like it has some nice views as well. Cruise says its a 2 hour tour so I assume on own we can do in 2 hours give or take?

Hubby & I stayed in Maz (not on a cruise - just land/hotel) a year and a half ago and we loved the observatory with interesting history and bird sanctuary.  An easy walk right from the cruise ship.  Best to do on your own, and there's a great view from the bar lawn if you choose to have a drink.  Cheaper on your own, and you can choose your time to avoid the excursion crowd.

DSCF1933.JPG

DSCF1930.JPG

DSCF1923.JPG

• Like 1

I wasn’t on a cruise but, went to the observatory in April. I travel to Mazatlan frequently and had never gone until this trip. We loved it. I think it’s quite well done. We didn’t do the chocolate presentation though. There wasn’t many people there when we were there so it was peaceful. Beautiful views. Had a drink at the top. I would do it on my own and go at my own pace. Taxis are plentiful in Mazatlan or you can walk. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KimHum said:

I wasn’t on a cruise but, went to the observatory in April. I travel to Mazatlan frequently and had never gone until this trip. We loved it. I think it’s quite well done. We didn’t do the chocolate presentation though. There wasn’t many people there when we were there so it was peaceful. Beautiful views. Had a drink at the top. I would do it on my own and go at my own pace. Taxis are plentiful in Mazatlan or you can walk. 

Chocolate? 

I think it was once or twice an hour. You learn about traditions and you’re supposed to be able taste a cacao drink. There was a sign near the stand selling refreshments when you get off the funicular. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Eileen11:  We didn't think so, since it is only 1.6 km from the port to the Observatorio.  The last 1/5 is a bit of an uphill but unless you are using a walker or cane it isn't a problem, just take it slow if the day is very hot.

• Like 1

@Hobbes67:  Here's a link to a topographical map of the area....you can check out the contours yourself and decide what might be too much of a climb.  It's a large main road with sidewalks so it's not exactly like hiking along a dirt trail.  Mazatlan topo map  The route from the cruise terminal to the street entrance of the Observatorio is only about 30 meters in elevation gain.  Seniors get a slightly discounted rate to get in.

I will say I really like Maz because it's an actual city with history, and not dreamed up and built by FONATUR like all the usual vacation spots.

Felices viajes.  😺

Edited by canadjineh