Another Silvermoon Question

emen822

This is only my second cruise. Our last cruise we had 3 island stops and just went to beaches and shopping. Since our cruise next month has 5 island stops, we wanted to do an excursion. I have read nothing but rave reviews but since there are 4 of us, it would cost $340 for this. I emailed them yesterday and surprisingly, they do have the room for us so I need to make a decision fast.

Few questions: My girls are 12 and 10 - good excursion for them? They love the water and love to snorkel. Do we need to bring our own snorkel gear? What type of lunch do they provide? And how far away from the pier do you go. They said the excursion ends at 4:00. Just want to make sure we will have plenty of time to get back. Is there any shade at all on the boat? This is our last island stop and I'm worried that by the 5th day, I may not want to spend 5 hours on a boat. Thanks for your feedback

emen822,

We just got back from SM II and the girls would probably love it. The dock is only 5 to 10 minutes from the pier so no worry about time. Meal was fish, beef stew, mac and cheese, salad, rice and desert. We have got our own gear but I used theirs as it was in good condition.

At least for us this was the highlight tour of our cruise and we had quite a few very good tours. A nice mix of sailing and snorkeling as well as a swimming chance after lunch.

We did Silvermoon last summer. Our son was 9 yo, almost 10yo, at the time. He still talks about it. It was a wonderful excursion! We always try and take different excursions when we go to islands that we have been to before, but Silvermoon would be one that I would do again. The snorkeling was really nice, food great and we were extremely well cared for. You will love it.

Last April we did this tour with our two boys (14 and 12). They loved it! This is a luxurious day and be mindful that your kids maybe the only "young ones" on the excursion. It worked great for us as the boys get along really well.

The crew was terrific, the food wonderful (even the picky 12 yo enjoyed it!).

The boys brought a book and MP3 players with them so they could chill like the adults. When we docked for lunch, the kids got out and did some extra snorkling and swimming around the boat while lunch was being set out.

They still talk about this tour. In our family, if you're having a bad day or just need time to chill we always tell the kids to "find thier happy place in thier mind". This is their happy place!

It's worth the money.

We did Silver Moon last May. It is worth every penny you'll spend!

I think your children will love it, too. I just can't describe the feeling of snorkeling and all the sudden....you're surrounded by the sea turtles! Truly an amazing experience that I'm sure your kids will remember for a lifetime!

Food was delicious, crew was wonderful. There is shade on the boat. This is an excursion I would do again in a minute!

There was a fresh water hose to rinse off the salt water.

Be sure to sit on the back steps with your feet in the water on your way back!!

Have a great time....whatever you decide to do!

I confirmed my reservation today.

I already asked this on another thread - but I figured I would ask here as well. Did you tip the people on the boat? If so, how many were there? Thanks for your help.

Emen,

Great choice! My wife and I have been on four cruises and obviously much more excursions, and we both agree that the Silvermoon was by far the best excursion we've ever been on.

As far as tipping, we did not and I didn't see anyone else do it either. Some excursions as you are departing they kind of have their hand out. This was not the case here. It is fairly expensive, so that was my rationale for not tipping. I say expensive, but it is was well worth it.

BTW, although we didn't take our kids, I have a 9 and 11 year old and can assure you that they would have had a blast. I operate a marina and the kids are on boats all of the time, but still they would have had a great time.

Have a great time!

Great choice - We were just there with Apex (Bruce & Pat) and Bill & I also say it was the best excursion on our first cruise. We are empty nesters but I believe your kids will have a marvelous time and quite a story to tell.

Don't forget the undewater cameras to capture it all!

Oh also we did tip a small amount but didn't feel pushed into it and I don't believe everybody did. It is a personal choice.

We just took this tour last week. There was a little 6 yr old girl on board with us and she just loved it! She wanted a nap in the afternoon and went to the inside cabin and layed down on the couch for an hour or so. When she woke up, they made her a "virgin daquiri" and gave her chocolate chip cookies. The crew took such good care of everyone on board! As far as shade goes, the whole back of the boat is shade--only the catamaran in front has full sun (we were on the Silvermoon 1). My only caution would be that at the second snorkeling site, there were thousands and thousands of jelly fish! My husband got stung pretty badly in a few places on his leg. There were no jelly fish at the turtles...and the turtles were incredible! They let you feed them fish and they come right up to you and you can touch their shells! It was the best tour of our 11 day cruise!

My 2 daughters age 8 & 10 absolutely loved the Silver Moon and both say it was their favorite excursion on our cruise! They were the only kids on the excursion. They loved seeing the turtles and just "hanging out" on the front of the catamaran--either laying down on the open area or sitting in the chairs. They also snorkeled at the second stop. We did see lots of jelly fish but never got stung.

They also got virgin pina coladas and loved the cookies. They are both pretty picky eaters and loved the food! I'm sure your girls would love it!

Well, I just have to jump on the wagon here too! Our family of 11, sailed the Silver Moon II with Capt. Nick a year and a half ago. I come to this forum and everyone is STILL talking about how wonderful this excursion is. We thought so too :D Fabulous...pampered...excellent description of this very relaxing day.

We had 4 kids, girl 17- got the worst sunburn of her life sunbathing on the trampoline in the front of the boat, boy 10- loved the snorkeling, girl 11- she brought a book along, but also loved the snorkeling and the food. Our 8 yo foster daughter (who we have since adopted) had never been on vacation before. Overwhelmed as she was about the cruise, this was just about her favorite part of our 10 night voyage! Her photo is my avatar and was taken while she was lounging with her new cousin on the trampoline :)

Also need to mention, that my 91 year old grandmother wanted to accompany the entire family. Mainly for the boat ride, nice lunch and joy of seeing the kids have fun. I was really worried about her getting on and off the boat. She walks with a cane and has any of the troubles walking someone her age should have. The crew literally lifted her on and off the boat. She too had a blast. The worst part of the trip for her was the walk from the cruise ship to the pick up area. Now 2 years later, I am going to ask her if she would like to go sailing with Capt Nick again.

In short, I just posted on another thread that this was the best excursion we had all taken off a cruise ship and among the 11 of us, we had quite a few cruises under our belts...Our pics from that day are here.

We did this excursion last week and it was the BEST way to end our cruise! There were 10 of us from CC on the excursion and we were all thrilled with this excursion.

Nick and Tony are wonderful! We had a great time with the turtles, and at the other snorkeling spot Nick went down and got us creatures to see close up. When we anchored for lunch, 3 of the people had fun doing cannon balls off the back of the boat while some of us just floated around in the gorgeous blue water. For lunch they fed us fried flying fish, shepherd's pie, vegetable rice, a wonderful salad, and their famous chocolate chip cookies!

I loved sitting on the steps at the back of the catamaran with my feet dangling in the water all of the way back to the ship. The only problem was that they didn't hire us 3 ladies to just stay on the boat and give drinks to the passengers! We told them we would do it for free. We would sleep on the boat and eat their wonderful left-overs, too. Oh, well. I guess we will have to book them again next year! Such a fabulous excursion. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Archived