This is our first time on Voyager but 11th Marella cruise. So experienced with the ships. My biggest complaint about this cruise has been the ports of call. Other than the port that was tendered, every port was either a transfer bus or boat, all at extra cost. When we first cruised with Thomson, now Marella, every port would be a case of walking off the ship and a short walk to town. I want a relaxing holiday, not having to queue for outbound or inbound transport. I want to come and go as we please. For instance, today we are in Valencia, it’s a 30 min bus ride to get into town at a cost of £6 each, paid on ship. When you have already paid a lot for cruise, I don’t want to have pay again at each port when it’s obviously down to Marella where we are docking! I think we may have to consider a different cruise line

1 hour ago, Karen a jones said:

This is our first time on Voyager but 11th Marella cruise. So experienced with the ships. My biggest complaint about this cruise has been the ports of call. Other than the port that was tendered, every port was either a transfer bus or boat, all at extra cost. When we first cruised with Thomson, now Marella, every port would be a case of walking off the ship and a short walk to town. I want a relaxing holiday, not having to queue for outbound or inbound transport. I want to come and go as we please. For instance, today we are in Valencia, it’s a 30 min bus ride to get into town at a cost of £6 each, paid on ship. When you have already paid a lot for cruise, I don’t want to have pay again at each port when it’s obviously down to Marella where we are docking! I think we may have to consider a different cruise line

Unless the cruise company has a deal with the port they do not pick the berth for their ship and it is assigned by the Port Authority or Company. In the case of Valencia the port moved the berths for larger cruise ships out of the ferry port area and into the newly constructed part of the port hence the longer time to get into the city.

Maybe Marella should look into providing transfers like some cruise lines do but I am sure people who didn't use them would complain about any extra cost.

As I said previously been on many cruises and most of the ports before, but never been placed so far out. Plus we had to pay for transfer to town, which is not told in the sales itinerary. Toulon was a 15 minute boat trip, Barcelona, you were taken to Port gates and València was upwards of 30 minute transfer!

Depends on the itinerary. Just come back from the a Greek Isles cruise on Explorer, every stop was within 10 mins of the port except Chania, which was €1.60 for a 15 min shuttle bus.

We also did the Canaries in Feb, and they were also all walkable.

We always look at whatsinport website when planning which cruise to book. If gives you information on where the ship docks, and also has links to the cruise calendar for the port, so you can see which berth you'll be at.

On 7/1/2024 at 5:53 PM, Karen a jones said:

As I said previously been on many cruises and most of the ports before, but never been placed so far out. Plus we had to pay for transfer to town, which is not told in the sales itinerary. Toulon was a 15 minute boat trip, Barcelona, you were taken to Port gates and València was upwards of 30 minute transfer!

Unfortunately there are so many people cruising now and ships are getting bigger that many places are building new cruise ports further out of town.  Always research if you want to just walk ashore, but you will find tht most cruise companies charge for shuttles e.g. you only get free shuttles with P&O if you book Select Fare.  On Sky Princess last month the shuttle busses were mostly $16 return, often for a distance that could be walked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 5:53 PM, Karen a jones said:

According to what's in port (my go to port guide) Toulon terminal opened in 2016 and the public  ferry coste 2€.  Barcelona - it is quite possible to walk over the bridge to the Christopher Columbus monument and connect to the metro system, have often done it

Extensive research is never wasted. We met a couple on a South East Asia cruise who were genuinely surprised they could not walk off the ship at  Laem Chabang, straight into down town Bangkok.