From Naples cruise port to Cloister of Santa Chiara

perkyperidot

Posted (edited)

My husband and I will be in Naples for one day in August on a cruise.  Since we have visited Naples and Sorrento on three different land vacations, we have seen most of the popular sites.  We've booked an excursion to Herculaneum for the morning, and I'd like to see the Cloister of Santa Chiara after we return.  

Although the route from the cruise port appears to be walkable, we might be a little tired after Herculaneum.  Will taxis pick up riders for such a short distance?  Do you have any recommendations where to eat authentic Neapolitan pizza along the route?  Thank you for any suggestions!

Edited by perkyperidot

• perkyperidot changed the title to From Naples cruise port to Cloister of Santa Chiara

Taxis might be willing to take you, but due to traffic and one way streets it would probably be faster to take the metro a couple of stops to Dante and walk from there.  It's slightly downhill, so it would be pretty easy.  You'd walk through Port'Alba, then turn right on Via S. Sebastiano straight down to the cloisters.  The total distance is about four tenths of a mile.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 8:22 PM, perkyperidot said:

we might be a little tired after Herculaneum

We walked it in, I think , no more than 15 minutes or so. And no hills to climb!

Herculaneum is usually less tiring than Pompeii, but you could rest onboard over a leisurely lunch  and afterwards  see how you feel at that point.

Pizza can be found everyhere in Naples.  Unless you especially want to dine in one of the historic original  pizza restaurants,  just buy wherever you think has the tastiest looking, and if busy that is usually a good indication of qualty.😁

Edited by edinburgher

On 7/1/2024 at 4:00 PM, euro cruiser said:

Taxis might be willing to take you, but due to traffic and one way streets it would probably be faster to take the metro a couple of stops to Dante and walk from there.  It's slightly downhill, so it would be pretty easy.  You'd walk through Port'Alba, then turn right on Via S. Sebastiano straight down to the cloisters.  The total distance is about four tenths of a mile.

Thank you for the response!  I appreciate your detailed directions and look forward to our visit to Santa Chiara.

30 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We walked it in, I think , no more than 15 minutes or so. And no hills to climb!

Herculaneum is usually less tiring than Pompeii, but you could rest onboard over a leisurely lunch  and afterwards  see how you feel at that point.

Pizza can be found everyhere in Naples.  Unless you especially want to dine in one of the historic original  pizza restaurants,  just buy wherever you think has the tastiest looking, and if busy that is usually a good indication of qualty.😁

Thank you, edinburgher!  Your response (along with that of euro cruiser) confirms what I thought by looking at a map.  

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that Naples, more so than other younger cities, in my experience, often does not have as close of a relationship with the map as you might like.   Just be sure you know the key points and places to turn, then kind of go with the flow.  It's a great city.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Edinburgher,

Thanks for all the great tips and information you give on this site.

we also want to visit the Cloisters but i was wondering if you can tell me where the metro station is when we come out of the cruise port please. I would also like to do the underground tour if possible, so can you tell me where the entrance to that is, in relation to the cruise terminal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Denise

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rcdc48 said:

we also want to visit the Cloisters but i was wondering if you can tell me where the metro station is when we come out of the cruise port please

Sorry I do know it is close, but we have not used the metro in Naples since the new lines and stations opened, only diverting around the works to install them as they took ages and  they were in front of and along the main road from the port terminal. We got them twice, lucky us.

But really, the walk from port terminal to the Cloisters is really quite short, maybe 15 or so minutes.  .eurocruiser in post #2 gives directions. For the name of the metro station closest to the port and its location, try internet searching "Naples Metro lines" or similar and you should find it easily.

As for the Naples Underground tour, we have not done that either, now wondering what we actually did in Naples city despite thinking we covered a lot of ground and visited a number of attractions on two or three city visits.☹️We even went to Pozzuoli by train and nowadays there is a metro line running there.

Should nobody else know, you could read the tour description as there should be an address given for the meeting point, and/or one of these "how to get here" links. .With an address you can simply internet search the name and you should see it appear on a map, ideally one which shows metro lines and stations.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, rcdc48 said:

we also want to visit the Cloisters but i was wondering if you can tell me where the metro station is when we come out of the cruise port please. I would also like to do the underground tour if possible, so can you tell me where the entrance to that is, in relation to the cruise terminal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Denise

The new entrance to the metro is across the parking lot as you exit the cruise terminal, see here:  

Thanks everyone for all your help and great tips. I’ll check it all out and we will hopefully get to both destinations 🤞 

Denise