Ginger for sea sickness

MAN86

I haven't taken any yet, but some from my roll call take it and says it works great. I usually take lots of Bonine, which my doctor reccomended. But I am going to try the ginger to see how it works for me. I think its like anything else, works for some and some doesn't. Would rather take the ginger instead of another drug.

We had no problem at all in the caribbean as it was mostly easy sailing. The usual little tiny wobble but that was it.

It wasn't until we hit the east coast north of South Carolina to NJ where we hit some high seas. There was a constant roll and slight slams at times. It began gradually and the further north we got the heavier the seas.

We had Bodine with us but totally ignored the signs of the seas until it was too late. Before we knew it we were rolling left to right and bopping up and down quite heavily. We are relatively tolerant of the seas which is why we ignored the early stages of the seas.

Instead we held out till it was enough to slow us down. We made a bee-line for Deck 10 aft where the food and outside decks were. Experts tell us keep the stomach full and be up and about in fresh air. That's what we did and it got us through just fine. We were very tired from the night before and since the sea condition lended us from doing much on the ship we eventually went to our stateroom and slept for about three hours until dinner time. Still rolled but dinner was fine.

If to do it all over again, at the first sign of some rolling seas I would take the Bodine rather than waiting for the higher seas when it would be too late to take the meds.

I could not find it at Walmart and they did not know what I was talking about. Will look again. Also will get Bonine. Have no idea how we are going to react, i.e. if we will even get sea sick, but packing a RX bag to be safe :eek:

MAN86, If you can't get it at Walmart, try the drug stores, if not there then at the natural vitamin stores definiterly have it. to save yourself from running around, I would call them first.

I bought my ginger at the natural vitamin stores. I bought it just in case when we were going to go to Hawaii. Yes, we really needed it, for four days straight and yes, it did work.

Robin :cool:

Interesting. Sea Sickness can be horrible.

While in the USCG I've seen people lose over 20 pounds on a weather ship cruise. This was many moons ago, before weather satellites. Picture yourself on a ship about 300 ft long going into the middle of the North Atlantic in the winter or hurricane season, and shutting off the engines while floating within a given boundry for 45 days.

There is such a thing as chronic sea sickness where you become completely incapicitated. I've seen a sailor lying on his back on the deck, almost passed out, and throwing up (landing in his face) while a chief was telling him to get up ... that he go on watch for 4 hours.

This was a long time ago and I guess the preventatives today are much improved. That being said the things we used most were dry crackers, suck on a lemon and look at the horizon.

Is that you "Ginger" ?

We use nothing but ginger capsules. We have been on many cruises. We used to dramamine. Makes me high and makes wife sleepy. A friend of ours who is into natural ways of fighting things said try ginger. It works.

If you go to "google" and put in "ginger and seasickness" you will be suprised at the studies and outcomes.:)

Let me put it to you this way...if you have a stuffed up sinus you can take a pill. Or you can eat a couple of hot peppers and the sinus will clear. I'd rather eat the peppers...:eek:

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Archived