Shocked and Baffled with Bitter Cunard Cruise Customer Support

Carmel007

I’m sorry this happened to you. We find Cunard’s customer service to be generally good though at times ill-informed. We did share your experience once, however. I honestly don’t remember what my request was, but it wasn’t anything outrageous or impossible. The sole response I got was “Well, THAT’S not going to happen!” Put me off calling them, so my husband does it now, as I tend to fight back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carmel007 said:

Dear Cruise Family.

This is our first time with Cunard, normally we cruise with Royal and Norwegian.

We have an upcoming transatlantic cruise in next 18 days.

Already tasted a soar apple experience with their customer service.

As last minute travel, we got very basic inside cabin. Glad we are happy that we can cruise and visit grand parents in Germany.

We are with kids and desperately looking for a possibility of a upgrade, based on the reviews I read so far 😉

I already bought super expensive WIFI and lone shore excursion, so that we do not deal with boredom.

Just few moments ago,  have called Cunard customer support (800) 728-6273 for the same, but I got very bitter and soar experience.

The lady on the phone is kind of, you paid what you get and there is no choice for you anyway, just live with it & No choice for you

Not even tried to validate anything. There is not even kind of response even when I started with Good Morning very politely.

Seems she is already fed up with her day at morning 9 AM.

This is kind of support not acceptable, I am really disappointed.

This is not a good beginning to start a Cunard cruise. All I wanted if there is a possibility if not put in wait list.

-SK.

Sorry to hear that and have to say at times we have found Cunard customer service by phone somewhat lacking. My daughter is a TA and occasionally had a similar experience.  But also had positive experiences. I will say though for the most part the service on board has been excellent on almost all of our voyages. The only exception was a nightmare cruise at post covid start up. 

Things can only go up from here! What will help you with next steps is get in a “Crossing” state of mind and not think of this as a cruise. Review the Daily Programme the night before and highlight, yes bring a highlighter, the activities you may want to do. Take advantage of the complementary children’s activities. 
It’s a shame to get treated poorly but try to slough it off and enjoy the Crossing. QM2 is a one of a kind ship so take advantage of it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I had to call customer service last week (in a panic after discovering somehow our booking was inadvertently cancelled (still not sure how that happened))….my TA is in Chicago and wasn’t available for another 1 1/2 hours and we were in danger of losing the cabin we had booked the second day of launch.  The Cunard agent was fantastic.  While she couldn’t resolve our issue (our TA was able to restore our booking) she did place a courtesy hold on our cabin for us so we had time to resolve….sorry you had a negative experience.

Edited by burnsva
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Carmel007

If you look at your booking under My Cunard you will see  “your stateroom”.  If there is a potential upgrade it states in red lettering Upgrade Available next to “your stateroom”.  If you click on the “your stateroom” link it will inform you of the availability of an upgrade and the min cost pp. that they will accept as a bid.   You don’t have to call customer service. 
There are also a series of upgrade FAQs. 
You may also, as suggested above,  enquire when you board. 
I hope you can move past the rudeness of the agent with whom you spoke and can look forward to visiting your grandparents. 

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:54 AM, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Is the crossing shown as sold out ? Did you get an option to bid for an upgrade at some point after booking ?

Hi, tagging on to your comments above, if there is an option to bid for an upgrade on my booking does that mean that some cabins are still available? We are heading out on the QE Alaska cruise in a week and although we have a nice Oceanview room, my husband has had some health issues that he's worked hard to overcome and I want to surprise him with a balcony. I looked at our booking and it showed that we could still bid on Balcony so I bid the max. But I was wondering if there are actually still cabins left and, if someone else gets the remaining upgrade(s), we know before we go or do we not know until we get to Vancouver Terminal. 

If you did a Plusgrade bid, normally it's best to get them just when they open up, which is around 70 days before departure. Then about 3 or 4 days to departure they will tell you if you have not been successful. If you have been successful they tend to contact you sooner. They are a Canadian company working on behalf of Cunard, so they work Montréal office hours, you typically won't hear over a weekend. I'm assuming you are getting a line you can drag over to make your bid and the webpage URL starts something like upg.plusgrade.com

If that doesn't work, then as soon as you board go to the Voyage Sales Office and see if they have something for you. Also, if you get the rejection message from Plusgrade you are free to call Cunard on the customer service number to enquire (though I wouldn't hold much hope for that). However if you have a TA booking, it's best to work via the TA, Cunard direct won't normally handle TA bookings.

5 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

If you did a Plusgrade bid, normally it's best to get them just when they open up, which is around 70 days before departure. Then about 3 or 4 days to departure they will tell you if you have not been successful. If you have been successful they tend to contact you sooner. They are a Canadian company working on behalf of Cunard, so they work Montréal office hours, you typically won't hear over a weekend. I'm assuming you are getting a line you can drag over to make your bid and the webpage URL starts something like upg.plusgrade.com

If that doesn't work, then as soon as you board go to the Voyage Sales Office and see if they have something for you. Also, if you get the rejection message from Plusgrade you are free to call Cunard on the customer service number to enquire (though I wouldn't hold much hope for that). However if you have a TA booking, it's best to work via the TA, Cunard direct won't normally handle TA bookings.

5 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Thank you so much for responding! I did work through a TA and we actually were happy with our Oceanview cabin assignment, feeling that we could just go out on the promenade deck on the QE and enjoy the scenery. Plus we are Gold tier, heading to Platinum with this voyage, with Cunard so thought maybe if a complimentary upgrade was offered on the day of departure that would be fine. We're eligible for a complimentary one but, as someone wrote, with more people traveling, any kind of upgrade, flights or cruises, is becoming scarce. But my husband's had a lot of stress recently and I thought it would be nice for him to sit out on our own balcony if he didn't feel like going on deck. Cunard had sent several emails telling us we could upgrade so I finally thought, well, why not try to upgrade to a balcony. I put our bid in yesterday and received confirmation that the bid was received and they'll let us know if it's been successful. Thank you for letting me know that they're on Montreal time. Although I'm in Arizona, I'm originally from Montreal 😉 Also, after I posted my query today I realized I probably should have asked our TA (not used to working with a TA) so have left a message with her. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, definitely ask your TA as well, they may have some lines of approach. Oceanview staterooms are quite good fun, and if the weather is not so good then sitting on the balcony may be wishful thinking. Sheltered balconies are all weather though but that's just QM2. But QE has so many options and opportunities, indoors and outdoors, so I am sure it will all work out fine. Complimentary upgrades are not a common event these days, by all accounts.

If the Plusgrade option is successful, which if you bid the maximum should give you a good chance, then I think you may hear on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by Pushpit