Caernarfon to Holyhead

We are on a cruise this fall stopping at Holyhead on 9/5/24.  We currently have an excursion going to Caernarfon castle for a half day which only allows 30 min. to explore the town of Caernarfon after the castle visit.  If we want to stay longer in the town, is it possible to get transportatiton from Caernarfon to Holyhead on our own?  Train? Taxi? 

It is possible but not easy. Train takes about 90 minutes, involving a change at Bangor. You'd need to check actual times for the trip and they don't appear to be that regular throughout the day. Taxi would, of course, be possible. It's about a 30 mile trip so expect to pay around £75.

I have to ask if there's a particular reason for wanting to spend more time in this small town. I'd take the view that, whilst it's a good base for spending a few days visiting the wider area (something I'm planning to do maybe next year), once you've visited the castle, you've pretty much exhausted what Caernarfon itself has to offer. 

• Like 2

Caernarfon is the terminus of a very popular (and deservedly so) tourist railway, but isn’t connected to the main national rail network.

So you’d have to catch a bus to Bangor (every 20 mins, journey time 30 mins) and change there for a train back to Holyhead (roughly hourly, journey time 35 mins).

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

but isn’t connected to the main national rail network.

Yes, my apologies for my post at #2. The website I'd looked at didnt make clear (at least to me) that the  Caernarfon to Bangor segment was by bus.