Southampton - airport after cruise

OTrail

I've got flights booked for the day my cruise returns to Southampton, I was just wondering what the easiest way of getting back to the airport would be?

Are there usually taxis queued at the port I could hop in or would I have to phone on the day to try and get one? Obviously I don't want to book in advance as I'm not sure when I'd be getting off the ship

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, OTrail said:

I've got flights booked for the day my cruise returns to Southampton, I was just wondering what the easiest way of getting back to the airport would be?

Are there usually taxis queued at the port I could hop in or would I have to phone on the day to try and get one? Obviously I don't want to book in advance as I'm not sure when I'd be getting off the ship

There will be lots of taxis outside and also Uber operate in Southampton, both Heathrow and Gatwick are a long way. I all depends how many of you there are and which airport.
Assuming two people a cab would be fastest and most convenient but National Express coach to Heathrow or train to Gatwick would be most cost effective.
You can also hire a driver from somewhere like WestQuayCars which will be better value than a cab. 

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

There will be lots of taxis outside and also Uber operate in Southampton, both Heathrow and Gatwick are a long way. I all depends how many of you there are and which airport.
Assuming two people a cab would be fastest and most convenient but National Express coach to Heathrow or train to Gatwick would be most cost effective.
You can also hire a driver from somewhere like WestQuayCars which will be better value than a cab. 

Cheers, hadn't even thought about Uber! I'm flying out of Southampton so it's only a short journey, Uber might be my best bet

11 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Cheers, hadn't even thought about Uber! I'm flying out of Southampton so it's only a short journey, Uber might be my best bet

Ah, if you are only going to Southampton airport then yes a cab or Uber.
I was going to Uber to my car a few miles away a couple of weeks ago but it was actually more expensive than a cab.

The Uber app was messing us around trying to find a driver so we cancelled and got in a cab outside the terminal and was surprised it was much less that Uber had quoted us.

• Like 1

IMHO Uber isn't worth the wait & the faffing around for the saving on a journey to Southampton airport, so I suggest you take a cab from the rank.

The airport is just outside the city boundary, so you can ask the driver for a fixed rather than metered price. Driver should quote around £25 including the fee for the cruise terminal.

The airport now charges a fee for drop-off, so ask the driver to drop you at the airport station, on the airport side. That's about 150 ft from the airport terminal 

If you want to penny-pinch you can take a cab to Southampton Central (£5 to £10 depending which cruise terminal)  then train to said airport station (about £5 each, ten minutes, 3+ trains per hour.

JB 🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John Bull said:

IMHO Uber isn't worth the wait & the faffing around for the saving on a journey to Southampton airport, so I suggest you take a cab from the rank.

The airport is just outside the city boundary, so you can ask the driver for a fixed rather than metered price. Driver should quote around £25 including the fee for the cruise terminal.

The airport now charges a fee for drop-off, so ask the driver to drop you at the airport station, on the airport side. That's about 150 ft from the airport terminal 

If you want to penny-pinch you can take a cab to Southampton Central (£5 to £10 depending which cruise terminal)  then train to said airport station (about £5 each, ten minutes, 3+ trains per hour.

JB 🙂

Ah this is perfect, thanks for the tip about dropping at the station. I've never been to Southampton before so didn't know if there'd be a rank at the port or if I'd have to go more in to the city to find one

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Ah this is perfect, thanks for the tip about dropping at the station. I've never been to Southampton before so didn't know if there'd be a rank at the port or if I'd have to go more in to the city to find one

Yes, taxi ranks at all cruise terminals. We've never had a problem or delay getting a cab, some folk have mentioned a line.

What time & date is your flight?

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Just now, John Bull said:

Yes, taxi ranks at all cruise terminals. We've never had a problem or delay getting a cab, some folk have mentioned a line.

What time is your flight?

JB 🙂

12:30, so I'm hoping plenty of time. Only flying back up to Edinburgh so just a domestic flight, 1 hour before take off? I've only flown twice in my life so a little nervy about the whole experience

4 minutes ago, OTrail said:

12:30, so I'm hoping plenty of time. Only flying back up to Edinburgh so just a domestic flight, 1 hour before take off? I've only flown twice in my life so a little nervy about the whole experience

No worries on time, then.

Southampton is a small single-terminal airport, no long delays at security, no long walks to departure lounges - they're all directly off the Hall.

Coffee shop etc in the Hall, and bar & more-substantial food upstairs.

All aircraft are single-aisle, seating 2 each side

But overhead bins are quite small and you might be asked to check-in your hand-luggage, so be prepared to take out anything you need on the flight - plus your mobile devices which can be damaged in loading.

No worries

JB 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

No worries on time, then.

Southampton is a small single-terminal airport, no long delays at security, no long walks to departure lounges - they're all directly off the Hall.

Coffee shop etc in the Hall, and bar & more-substantial food upstairs.

All aircraft are single-aisle, seating 2 each side

But overhead bins are quite small and you might be asked to check-in your hand-luggage, so be prepared to take out anything you need on the flight - plus your mobile devices which can be damaged in loading.

No worries

JB 🙂

Cheers, booked on Loganair already so not even 2 seats each side ahaha. Good info about the airport, depending on how early I get there might be able to get a good feed before the flight up

8 hours ago, juliecat said:

Is Lyft available in the UK or just Uber? 

I've not come across it. But bearing in mind the restrictive title of this thread you'll do better to start a fresh thread

JB 🙂