New anthology menu and wine options

glawless

Nice to see that they kept the scallop cannelloni from chef Le Tohic's earlier menu as it was probably my favourite course but at near to 300 euro with the wine pairing it was never going to last.

As far as the change in champagne goes I was fairly happy with the replacement and even went as far a purchasing a bottle of Moet to compare them side by side. It's not all doom a gloom.

Would I go back on Explora? Yes please. 

• Like 5

On 8/6/2024 at 11:58 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Is anyone from EJ management reading these posts?  Maybe ask people (not influences or TA's) what they like and hate?  Seems like management can't get over themselves.  Survey (hmm never got one) paying past guests.  For !40 E per person on top of what the per diem is I'd expect a great meal, not a disappointment as PaulMcn experienced.

You have hit the rivet on the head!  We were on the cruises leading to the naming ceremony, and had the opportunity to meet several of the top management folks (from Geneva) and also dine at Anthology when they had a terrific Michelin 2* Chef doing the meal prep/cooking.  In our opinion, EJ has a big problem with the attitude of their top managment folks which seems to trickle down to the Guest Relations staff onboard.  We have previously posted that we have high hopes for the line, but think they are going to need to "get over themselves" and listen to the folks who cruise on luxury lines rather than rely on their internal idea of trying to make EJ a non-cruise line.

As to Anthology, it is a great example of management being full of themselves.  On our 18 day cruise, they made Anthology so exclusive that getting a reservation was more difficult than a last minute tea reservation at the Ritz.  As I recall, it took us at least 4 visits to the onboard reservations folks before they finally "allowed us" to dine in Anthology.  There we were, with one of NYCs top chefs, a beautiful venue, lots of staff, and only 8 diners.  We suspect the restaurant was that empty because of the difficulty in getting a reservation (to an empty venue).  

So now, they have revamped Anthology, taken away the Michelin Chef concept, but apparently still try to convince, with attitude, that this is a great dining experience.  At this level of cruising, charging an extra $140 per person for just food, means they must provide truly world-class haute cuisine.  Anything less, and there is no reason to choose Anthology over the other excellent dining venues that involve no extra fees.

By the way, I recently looked at the future itineraries of EJ, and remain completely unimpressed!  When we compare EJ to the other luxury lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Crystal, etc) EJ is not at all competitive.   They will eventually get it right...but not sure I will live long enough to see it happen. :(.  On the other hand, their management team will still be able to boast they have 3 Steinway's on each ship (even if there is nobody to play them) and tons of chefs (that must stick to the company recipes).   We had to smile during a recent Oceania Vista cruise, when one evening we went to an informal restaurant to order pizza.  When we asked about the toppings, the waiter made it clear that they would produce whatever we desired.  DW quickly remarked about when she simply ask the pizza cook on EJ! for some pepperoni on her pizza and was refused..even though he had the pepperoni.  Why?  It was not an approved item (by Geneva).

Hank

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with everything you wrote.  Disembarked Seabourn Encore on Sunday and it had multiple issues but after 21 Seabourn cruises know the product has changed.  One reason we wanted to try and had high expectations for EJ was a new line to get things right.  Service on EJ was superior to what we had on the Encore - and we were not the only people with many hundreds of nights regreting its not the old Seabourn - but until EJ gets past its teething pains we will stay away.  No future itinerary I have seen  interests us.

Currently on Scenic Diamond river from Bordeaux and the service is amazing as are the included wines!!!

Edited by 2SailingNomads
  • Like 4