How much is too much?

Hi, just want to get some opinions.  I started packing my gadget bag for our trip and it filled up pretty quickly.  I started with my GoPro 12 creator edition, now that has its little case with accessories.  Then I always take my GoPro max to take some 360 video but I end up using it very minimally.  Then you add on another small case for a GoPro pole, various mounting adapters chargers, batteries, extra film etc.  Lastly I take my InstaGo 2 to mount on my kids to get a POV.  Of course another small pouch for a usb charging hub to charge the family’s electronics, even more cables and battery banks.

My backpack is filled to the brim. I admit I get that FOMO (fear of missing out) but I end up overpacking.

What do you take on your trip?

• Like 1

There's no such thing as too much, at least on the cruise (how you get it to the ship could be a huge deciding factor though). My wife and I have cruised with 5-6 DSLRs and close to a dozen lenses, up to a 600mm f/4 lens, with monopods and/or tripods in the past. We both enjoy the chance to play. We've boarded the ship with two backpacks and 1-2 rolling duffel bags with additional stuff, no problem.

• Like 2

I'm not a video guy, but I would think that the basics apply. Too much is entirely dependent on the destination and what you expect to shoot. I used to pack 35-40lbs of equipment for any trip, "just in case". It took a while, but I learned from experience what I likely needed based on the destination. I still take a full bag with two bodies and 4-5 lenses to Alaska but now I only take my phone on a 4-day to Catalina and Ensenada (my Pixel 8 Pro is equal to or better than almost any compact camera and even older DSLRs). An exception was on a recent 4-day with the grandkids where I took my A7rV with a 24-105 zoom to shoot their activities, so factor that in since you have kids. On our recent cruise to Italy and the Greek isles I planned on a lot of walkabout shooting so I took the A7rV/24-105 combo, and of course, the phone with about a 50/50 split in photos taken between the two. 

Do some research, plan ahead and pack accordingly. 

Oh, another thing I learned...don't get so wrapped up in recording your trip that you forget to enjoy it.

Dave

• Like 4

16 hours ago, pierces said:

I'm not a video guy, but I would think that the basics apply. Too much is entirely dependent on the destination and what you expect to shoot. I used to pack 35-40lbs of equipment for any trip, "just in case". It took a while, but I learned from experience what I likely needed based on the destination. I still take a full bag with two bodies and 4-5 lenses to Alaska but now I only take my phone on a 4-day to Catalina and Ensenada (my Pixel 8 Pro is equal to or better than almost any compact camera and even older DSLRs). An exception was on a recent 4-day with the grandkids where I took my A7rV with a 24-105 zoom to shoot their activities, so factor that in since you have kids. On our recent cruise to Italy and the Greek isles I planned on a lot of walkabout shooting so I took the A7rV/24-105 combo, and of course, the phone with about a 50/50 split in photos taken between the two. 

Do some research, plan ahead and pack accordingly. 

Oh, another thing I learned...don't get so wrapped up in recording your trip that you forget to enjoy it.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I actually have the opposite problem, I get so wrapped up with the kids that I forget to capture the moments.  I’m still working on that perfect balance of being in the moment but capturing the memory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ranyw said:

I actually have the opposite problem, I get so wrapped up with the kids that I forget to capture the moments.

If more people had that "problem", the world would be a much better place. 😉 

Enjoy!

Dave

• Like 2

On 7/18/2024 at 1:11 AM, Ranyw said:

I started with my GoPro 12 creator edition, now that has its little case with accessories.  Then I always take my GoPro max to take some 360 video but I end up using it very minimally.

Is there any reason one of these GoPros couldn't do it all?