Kayak/paddle board rental in Hellesylt/Olden

Is anyone aware of companies that hire kayaks or paddle boards in either Olden or Hellesylt? I've found a few, but only for guided tours, which obviously pushes up the price.

I'm hoping I might be able to hire one for an hour and do my own thing. Though with huge cruise ships passing through, I suspect they wouldn't want me splashing around on my own.

It’s unlikely that there are many self-guided rental options as it’s in the best interest of the companies to keep an eye on their equipment and the customers. Most independent paddlers would be bringing their own gear, so there isn’t really a market for equipment rental alone.

You might try contacting them to see if they’re up for renting out equipment for independent exploration, and see if they’re up for it. However, if your primary driver for going solo is cost, you probably won’t save much since they’ll need to factor in the additional risk of damage to you or the equipment.

My guess is that it will be hard to find a place where you can rent a kayak and head out on your own, unless you can prove that you have the experience needed. There is a Norwegian certificate, Våttkort, but maybe they accept other kind of proofs as well. 

Huge ships is probably the least of your problems, the main reason is that the fjords can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Apel said:

My guess is that it will be hard to find a place where you can rent a kayak and head out on your own, unless you can prove that you have the experience needed. There is a Norwegian certificate, Våttkort, but maybe they accept other kind of proofs as well. 

Huge ships is probably the least of your problems, the main reason is that the fjords can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I did actually find one that mentioned private hire, but like you say it's probably not the best idea to go solo on a fjord, even with a fair amount of kayaking experience.