Hiroshima visiting Miyajima and Peace Park?

clcmdse

Does anyone have familiarity with the distances in Hiroshima? We will be docked for one day (7:00 am to 4:00 pm) We would like to take the ferry to visit Miyajima, but we would also like to visit the Peace Park. Is the ferry located near the city and the Peace Park? Or are the distances such that we cannot do both. Any tips or help are welcome.

Catherine

3 hours ago, clcmdse said:

Does anyone have familiarity with the distances in Hiroshima? We will be docked for one day (7:00 am to 4:00 pm) We would like to take the ferry to visit Miyajima, but we would also like to visit the Peace Park. Is the ferry located near the city and the Peace Park? Or are the distances such that we cannot do both. Any tips or help are welcome.

Catherine

1) Itsukaichiko Wharf: (6mi from city center) a) To Miyajima: Port shuttle will drop off at JR Itsukaichi Station. San-yo Line to Miyajimaguchi Station (10 min), walk 5 min to Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal, 10 min cross time to Miyajima. b) To Peace Park: Option 1: 45 min high speed ferry to  Atomic Bomb Dome Pier https://www.aqua-net-h.co.jp/en/heritage/route.html, 5 min walk to Peace Memorial Park. Option 2: Travel back to Miyajimaguchi Station, San-yo Line to Nishi-Hiroshima Station, either taxi to peace park or tram#2 to Genbaku Dome-Mae Station c) Return to Itsukaichiko Wharf, tram #2 to Hiroden-Itsukaichi Station, or taxi to Nishi-Hiroshima Station, and San-yo Line to JR Itsukaichi Station.

2) Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf (3 mi from city center, no public transport nearby): a) To Miyajima: Taxi to Hiroshima Port, 36 min high speed ferry to Miyajima. b) To Peace Park: Ferry back to Hiroshima Port and taxi to peace park. c) Return to Ujina Wharf: Taxi.

WOW. Many thanks for this detailed response. This is so helpful. Do you think this is doable in the timeframe of 8:00 to 3:00 pm when we have to be back on the ship? 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, clcmdse said:

WOW. Many thanks for this detailed response. This is so helpful. Do you think this is doable in the timeframe of 8:00 to 3:00 pm when we have to be back on the ship? 

I was in Hiroshima in March for 4 days post cruise stay. 
If the ship dock at Itsukaichiko Wharf, it can be done, but visit Hiroshima Peace Park then Miyajima, because Peace Park opens at 7:30am and most Miyajima shops open at 10am.

Hiroshima Peace Park Museum:

https://hpmmuseum.jp/modules/info/index.php?action=PageView&page_id=47&lang=eng
https://hpmmuseum.jp/modules/info/index.php?action=PageView&page_id=58&lang=eng

If you can off the ship before 7:30am will have more lean time 

#Port shuttle drop off at JR Itsukaichi Station. San-yo Line to Nishi-Hiroshima Station, either taxi to peace park or tram #2 to Genbaku Dome-Mae Station, will arive peace park in 30 min. Ferry operation between Peace Park and Miyajima is determine by sea tide, if operate is a 45 min ferry ride, otherwise, 1) Tram #2 from Genbaku Dome-Mae Station to Hiroden-nishi-hiroshima in 22 min, walk 2 min to Nishi-Hiroshma station take San-yo Line to Miyajimaguchi Station in 20 min. walk 5 min to Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal, 10 min cross time to Miyajima. Plan an hour travel from Peace Park to Miyajima. The island tourist area is very small, 15 min walk from ferry terminal to Itsukushima Jinja. You can have late lunch there, most restaurants have English menu, give yourself 60 - 105 min there. If you like Japanese curry bun, there is a bakery near the ferry terminal, I like the bun with oysters, yummy! Plan 30 - 45 min return to
JR Itsukaichi Station shuttle pick up stop. After ferry ride back to Miyajimaguchi, either walk to Miyajimaguchi Station take San-yo Line to JR Itsukaichi Station in 12 min, or  Tram #2 from Hiroden-Miyajimaguchi Station to Hiroden-Itsukaichi Station in 25 min and walk 3 min across to JR Itsukaichi Station. 

If you skip the Peace Park Museum visit, then 8-3 is still good.

Edited by monkey@cruise

Thank you so much monkey@cruise. Your detailed and helpful response is why I love CC and why I turn to it for advice regularly. I appreciate it very much.

40 minutes ago, clcmdse said:

Thank you so much monkey@cruise. Your detailed and helpful response is why I love CC and why I turn to it for advice regularly. I appreciate it very much.

You're welcome. I think ship excursion on Hiroshima and Miyajima is US $100/pp If you plan using public transport, either setup an e-suica card on your iphone or iwatch, or purchase an IC card, save your time on ticket purchase for each journey. There is a 100 yen tourist tax to Miyajima, will tag on your ferry fare. I will revisit Hiroshima during my Sept Japan cruise.