Nov 2024 HAL cruise on Nieuw Statendam

Hello. My name is Jay and I'm deaf. I'm going on a 14 day cruise from Athens to Rome Nov 2-16 2024.. I'm currently talking with HAL about them getting an ASL interpreter for me for the cruise. They initially said they would not provide ASL interpreter for the cruise but if I provided my own, they would provide the terp a free cabin.. any help would be appreciated!

20 hours ago, Govols9506 said:

Hello. My name is Jay and I'm deaf. I'm going on a 14 day cruise from Athens to Rome Nov 2-16 2024.. I'm currently talking with HAL about them getting an ASL interpreter for me for the cruise. They initially said they would not provide ASL interpreter for the cruise but if I provided my own, they would provide the terp a free cabin.. any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

I'm not sure about the posting rules, but you might want to re-post this in the general "Disabled Cruising" section (not the "Europe" specific section).

That's because this isn't really specific to Europe... there's nothing specific about the locations and HAL has cruises almost all around the globe.

That way, you'll get a lot more eyeballs seeing your post!

(Look at the number of posts and views for those in the "Euro" specific section, vs. the main "Disabled Cruising" section.

There may well be some people who are quite familiar with how HAL generally handles this, or even if other cruise lines do it better (or worse!?).

We have a good friend who is very seriously hearing impaired, and he and his wife went on a cruise on another line about 10 years ago.  I don't think they did a good job of planning, and they didn't ask others about suggestions (not on CC or even people they knew who enjoyed cruising - like us!) and none of us even knew about it until they returned.

I'm sure it could have been handled much better.

So I'm very glad you have found CruiseCritic!

🙂

Meanwhile, what does "a free cabin" mean?  Meals will be charged?  (How do they break that down?)  What about other on-board services that would ordinarily be included in the basic "cruise cost"?

Is it just you, or will you have a companion?

Have you ever been on a cruise before?

I'm assuming that you'll be able to find a way to enjoy it very much, if you DO plan (unlike our friends, who tended not to plan well in general, alas...).

GC