On the Pursuit - The Kimberley Coast, Indonesia & PNG - and a really keen choo-choo train!

Posting this pic only to highlight the amazing tidal range here.  Obvs all the darker stuff, many meters high up onto the rock above the zodiac, is the water level at high tide.  The tides do weird things in these parts!

IMG_2024-08-06-114755.jpeg.9264ed8fb704c893468b054910e3f4bb.jpeg

• Like 2

Case in point, the “Horizontal Falls”.  At low tide the water rushes through a channel in the rock, to seek an equal level, much like the Montgomery Reef thing.  The zodiacs in these clips look like they’re just floating, but make no mistake, they were bouncing and sliding all over the place, and pretty much at full throttle forward, even though they look virtually stationary.  Just a riot of currents and eddies and whirlpools, with just awesome power.  (First pic is an internet shot, to give you a better overall idea of how it works)

IMG_0514.png.bdcd2a7e374f0d01a5432deffb7792c2.png

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Several cruises ago, I remember posting first wastebasket photo below, and musing on the design…..other than dramatically lowering the odds that something you throw will actually land inside, what’s the point of the smaller opening?  Well, second pic is the wastebasket in our loo this time.  

“Cruisecritic.com - Making The World A Better Place, One Wastebasket at a Time”.      🤭

IMG_3387.thumb.jpeg.5f917f12ab73ed028ed9564e8d7f8c58.jpeg

IMG_3388.thumb.jpeg.4c4ac8939616887d40b41b0766c48fc9.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the last few days I was going to ask the boss-man in the Colonnade whether there was an Indian Market Dinner in our future.

Tonight…..woohoooo!

IMG_3412.thumb.jpeg.d80d78e8a1637e9c4f7bb565a73af511.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

….still offering  discounts for onboard expedition bookings?

Thought I saw something about that on the Source app but can’t find it now.  I’ll pop by the Sales desk and get an answer.

11 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Thought I saw something about that on the Source app but can’t find it now.  I’ll pop by the Sales desk and get an answer.

You're the jams!  Working on something for my sister who is a solo.  Those discounts make the trips doable when single supplement are 175%.  Thanks. 

Good to know they are still doing Indian Market.😃

In Darwin and so excited to join on Sunday. Shark b8, do you know what’s happening IRT embarkation? My boarding pass says 12:30, but received email saying port won’t let us on until 4:00, but then a number of disappearing alerts that say to get on at assigned time (on boarding pass?) Super confused and don’t want t miss the boat.

2 hours ago, BioInfoLib said:

In Darwin and so excited to join on Sunday. Shark b8, do you know what’s happening IRT embarkation? My boarding pass says 12:30, but received email saying port won’t let us on until 4:00, but then a number of disappearing alerts that say to get on at assigned time (on boarding pass?) Super confused and don’t want t miss the boat.

So here’s the deal.  We received a letter yesterday that stated that all passengers (even if they stay onboard) must disembark the ship in Darwin and go through Customs again, and will be able to re-board the ship between 4:00p and 6:00p.  Wrinkled brows all around, as we’ve never left Australia since sailing, so unsure why there would be a need for another Customs experience.  Anyway, I’m aware that some people want to just go into town for lunch, and some people have a shore excursion that ends around 2:00p, so if that letter is accurate, then those folks are going to have to wait around until 4:00p to re-board.  That's undoubtedly the explanation for the email you got.  I’m assuming that the Customs folks have the upper hand here and will do what they wish.  Presumably that letter supersedes the pre-assigned boarding times….I’ll go by the Square and see if they can clarify things.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The rep at the Square confirms that everyone, passengers currently onboard and those who will board tomorrow, will only be able to board (or re-board) after 4:00p.  Seems like that might make things a little messy but we shall see.  And I mentioned Customs as the reason, the letter (below) actually says it’s Immigration.  Still think it’s curious to require an Immigration appearance for current passengers when the ship has only sailed within Australia, but what do I know.  🤷‍♂️

IMG_3432.thumb.jpeg.9b1b64c823a4fd4e34ca2354844aeff2.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 2

Also, for those keeping score, the rep at the Square said there are 80-some folks boarding tomorrow, and 120-some leaving.  So the next leg will not quite be at capacity, as the current one was.

That's not so bad if those who want to remain on board only need debark for 30 minutes for a face to face. However, not fun for newbie who only want to unpack and relax before evening.

Perhaps triple time only starts at 4pm 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1