Stavanger bus to Pulpit Rock hike available at port

Does anyone know if there is a bus/tour to the start of the Pulpit Rock hike available to purchase at the port based on your ship's schedule? Has anyone had experience buying it on port? From reading here, it sounds like the bus driver/tour guide tells everyone when to head back down the rock in order to make the bus to get back to the port on time. We are going mid-Sept, are the only ship in port that day, and in port from 9-5. I also saw here that the trail is very busy and the trip down slowed down by frequently moving aside for those coming up. Does anyone know if the trail is less crowded in Sept? I also saw here about the bus and ferry schedules but also saw about a 14km long tunnel. Is there a new tunnel that replaces the ferry, or are both still required to get to the trail head? 

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!

Tammy

https://preikestolen365.com/how-to-get-to-preikestolen/

Have a look here for information. 

We did the hike in 2016 and had to ferry and bus but there’s been a tunnel built since then so you can get a direct bus now. In 2016 I found the trail frustratingly busy. At points there’s only room for single file so we were constantly stopping on the way down. And that was before Tom Cruise dangled off it and made it even more popular. Also if it is raining, I wouldn’t attempt it as you will have no view from the top. We just got a view before the weather closed in. Hiking boots/ shoes are necessary, it’s rocky and can be slippery. 

Don’t let all these things put you off! If you are a hiker, I still consider it a bucket list hike. 

Thanks, @Scottishclover

The site does say that you have book in advance; then don't know if it is supposed to rain. Of course, to your point, the weather can change in the same day too. The times look tough with our port time, esp with fewer buses in September. We do like to hike, the view sounds great (if good weather), and the tunnel sounds interesting too. Though the buses do not seem geared to cruisers. The cruise line excursion is an option, but very pricy. We will have to decide if we really want to do it. 

Tammy