First cruise with my 9 year old

Tina80

Hi all,

My none year old and I are going to go on our first ever cruise this October, it will be Royal Caribbean 9 nights Greek cruise: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/9-night-greek-isles-from-rome-civitavecchia-on-odyssey/OY09ROM-3670741210?sail-date=2024-10-01&currency=USD&country=USA&search=startDate:2024-10-01~2024-10-31#step=0

We will arrive in Athen port and we would like to visit this beautiful and magical city. Was looking at the tours offered by the cruise and wasn't sure if we should just purchase that or will have an option to visit the city on our own. Have been reading so many threads and posts to get myself familiar but was hoping if someone please reply to this thread and provide some recommendations. What can we see/do on our own? Thank you in advance

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 4:00 PM, Tina80 said:

What can we see/do on our own?

Looking at the ports named on your link, you could do all of these on your own apart from Ephesus from Kusadasi where transport is needed but there should be shared transport and tours from the dock, and for Chania, either a ship shuttle or the public bus from outside the port of Souda  would transfer you into town. Small and quite attractive, mostly flat ground and very easy to DIY once you get there.

Past threads for Kusadasi

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=kusadasi&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

and for Chania

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=chania&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

For the others, you need to read what sights/attractions might interest you on the usual"Official Tourist Information websites for name of town/city)," Tripadvisor, Youtube, Frommer's, Fodors, Rick Steves and others., and read past threads for each. and look at shorex to see what is being offered even should you not want to book one as they often describe the highlights and what can be reasonably fitted into your port timings, then look to see how you could do any which suit your interests independantly.

If you do not know how to use the easy and fast SEARCH TOOL.  Go to the correct geographical forum for each port.  Stay on the main page without going to an individual thread, and in the empty search box under your username, insert the name of the port or place then click the little spy glass. Note that the dropdown should have defaulted to "this forum".  Within seconds all past threads containing that word should appear ready for you to choose which to read. And think a little outside the box.  EG for your Naples port call, if you have no interest in the city itself but would be interested in Pompeii, do not search with the word Naples, search instead for Pompeii.

And if there is a Roll Call for your sailing, join it as it is where you can exchange info and suggestions with those who will be fellow passengers.

Lots of homework for you.  Advice is to focus on one port at a time and only move onto the next when that one is finished otherwise you risk being overwhelmed.

And note if any of the sights/sites/attractions you intend to visit require pre-booked timed tickets.

Edited by edinburgher

Since you are a 1st time cruiser I would suggest buying a guide book specific to Med cruises. There are several to choose from, ie Rick Steves has ''Mediterranean Cruise Ports " which provides info on the history of each port, popular sights to see, things to do, tours, and DIY options. I bought the book; re-read it during the flight and took it with me each day so that I had backup plans if needed.

p.s. for Santorini, check cruisemapper to see how many ships are in port with you; their arrival/departure times and # of pax.  This will greatly impact your visit and ability to get around.

ie if your ship and another arrive at 8am, a ship's excursion to Oia might be the best option as it will give you priority for the tender and a head start in Oia. Otherwise with 8000 pax arriving around the same time you could have a 2hr wait for the cable car.