Getting from Southampton to Dover

Hi there,

I have a question.  We are considering taking the QM2 crossing to Southampton and then getting on a different ship that is leaving from Dover. 

The QM2 will arrive on May 30th and the ship leaving Dover departs on May 31st.  I have received a couple of quotes (yes expensive but train isn't an option) for a private driver to drive us from Southampton to Dover (they say it will be about 3.5 hours long).

Does this seem doable?  I know things can sometimes go wrong with the QM2 so a little concerned.  Have they ever arrived really late (or next day)?  Trying to decide if I'm worried about nothing.

TIA

Hi to you, 

We live a little way along the coast from Dover, and yes I would agree with about 3.5 hours.The problem could be road works; the M25 and the M20 are always having long delays.Some of them go on for months.

We are driving down to Southampton next month, and I am already checking the route.

Hope you are staying at The BestWestern hotel.Its really lovely.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Yes, next day should be fine especially at that time of year.

It appears the moderator decided to move my post from Cunard to here. 

My question is specific to potential issues with the QM2 not making it on time.  Based on other forums I've been reading, it appears that the QM2 has had a few delays.  Some were due to medical issues but others seemed to be technical ones.  So I was curious to know, for the technical ones, if there have been some ongoing issues that might pose a challenge for us.

TIA

Even if the QM2 is 24 hours late (which is so unlikely it’s almost certain not to happen) you’d still be able to make it.

As it is you’ve got more than 24 hours to make a 3 hour journey. You’ll be fine.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Even if the QM2 is 24 hours late (which is so unlikely it’s almost certain not to happen) you’d still be able to make it.

As it is you’ve got more than 24 hours to make a 3 hour journey. You’ll be fine.

Thanks.  I appreciate the reassurance.  We booked it 🙂