Split a Bar Tab

Toscana3

My husband and I will be sailing Virgin for the first time on Aug 7.  I am planning to purchase a $500 Bar Tab, but it seems it will only be under my name.  Is there a way to split it so that my husband could order drinks using his bracelet without me being present? Thank you! 

We tried this on our last cruise, and the short answer was no.

You can only give him general charging privileges against your account and then settle up amongst yourselves (and Sailor Services, if you wish) at the end.

Just off a VV in Med and our bar tab (700) was all on my name. I was also one with DBE. However, my wife charged drinks and coffee to her band and the coffees never showed up on our invoice (comp under DBE), and the drinks she charged to her band came out of the 700. I don't know if that is normal or if it is because I gave her charging privileges to my credit card? 

Thank you. I’ve given him charging privileges to the credit card. I just want to make sure that we aren’t paying out of pocket for drinks he’s charging and my bar tab goes unused…

As long as you check the box to give him charging, you will be "sharing" the bar tab.  If you are "sharing" with someone in another room, you can go to guest services and request that the drinks charged to their room be transferred to your bar tab.  I learned that on my last cruise-not sure how long it may continue as it is some effort for the sailor services people.  The easiest way to buy a drink for someone not in your cabin when they are with you is to let them order and then charge it to your bracelet.  You can buy a round for a dinner table, treat a crew member, or anything else this way.

If you select in the app during check in that one person is paying then all charges will go on that persons account and come from any bar tab or loot they have on their account. Once bar tab is depleted then loot is used and once that is gone then the credit card is charged on the last night.

• Like 1

What if you are not married and sharing a cabin.  The bar tab and sailor loot are under my name - is there a way for my friend to use the bar tab without adding him to my account?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, BeachyGirl64 said:

What if you are not married and sharing a cabin.  The bar tab and sailor loot are under my name - is there a way for my friend to use the bar tab without adding him to my account?

Doesn’t matter if married or not, when doing check in on the app you and your cabin mate can select if one person is paying everything or if paying for own expenses. Only way to share a bar tab is for all charges to go to that person. You can also go see sailor services on the ship and get them combined, but still any charges over and above bar tab will go to that one person. Otherwise you could ask onboard for individual transactions to be moved between people or just ensure that it’s always your band tapped so charges go to you.

Edited by jon81uk

Married does't matter, sharing expenses does.  You can use your bracelet for all bar charges for both of you or you can tick the box that says you are paying for everything.  You can also keep separate accounts, then go to sailor services to have their bar charges moved to your account.

Just got off the Valiant Lady.  To share bar tab, you'll have to link both sailor accounts.  So that means all charges will go under one account.  I did this with my cabin mate, and then once the bar tab ran out, we unlinked our accounts and he was able to continue charging his account separately. 

• Like 3