Driving from Gulf Coast to Miami

gail-s

Posted (edited)

We're combining two trips so we will be staying over on the Gulf Coast by Venice and then driving over to Miami for our cruise.  It looks like a 3+ hour drive so we're tossing around the idea of driving over a day early and spending the night in Miami.  
For those who have done it, are we better off crossing over to Fort Lauderdale on 75 or staying south through the reserve on 41?  On either route, is there anything interesting to do along the way?  anywhere that we should definitely stop and check out?  
Last trip we stayed at the Intercontinental, wanting to be close to the port.  This trip I don't really care but I also don't want to break the bank.  Any nice hotels or interesting places to stay that you'd recommend?  Granted this could go either way, staying in Fort Lauderdale if we go that route or south of Miami if we go the other.  

Edited by gail-s

1. Both routes have their pluses.  Old 41 has more speed traps, and more of "old Florida", I-75 has much faster travel.

The airboat rides in the Everglades have their fans, and there are a number of places to pull over and watch gators on 41.

Either way, being in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area a day ahead is a prudent idea.

We usually take I-75 or SR 80 when we cross but you can see a little more on Tamiami Trail (41). It can be pretty slow because much of it is two lane, no passing zone and its patrolled by the Miccosukee and they will write you a ticket in a hurry. Points of interest would be visiting Everglades City, or an Indian village along the way, Big Cypress, the Oasis Center, or the countries smallest post office to name a few. 

SR 80 you could check out Lake Okeechobee, Roland Martin Marina, King Ranch.

Alligator Alley (75) is boring but much faster.