First Atlas Ocean Cruise--what to know?

We will be taking our first Atlas Ocean Cruise from Iceland in August and would appreciate any tips that previous cruisers can share. 

Also have some questions about embarkation day:

What time do they allow you to board?

Will there be any food served at embarkation? 

Is the afternoon tea available on embarkation day?

We selected our excursions. Anything else we should look to book sooner rather than later?

TIA

I can share a few things, though it may be relevant to the Antarctic trip I did with them earlier this year.

Embarkation for us was around 3pm; we did not go to the ship with the rest of the passengers that were collected up off the charter flight to Ushuaia. An earlier connecting flight lost our luggage (later recovered) and we had to do some shopping in town. The taxi dropped us off before the busses with the rest of the passengers arrived. The port people, after checking passports and calling the ship, let us down the pier and we were allowed to board. We may have been a bit early, but that was accommodated in this case.

Once on the ship there were refreshments served and snacks - very similar to what is available during regular tea time. I believe Paula's Pantry was open and their offerings were quite good. I don't recall a formal tea being served that day. It is usually served in the Dome Lounge and as it takes maybe an hour or so to get everyone checked in, luggage to cabins, etc. I believe they passed on it for embarkation day. Could be different depending on your departure time, but Paula's Pantry was always a great back up for snacks, light meal, or coffee between scheduled meals.

Their ships are superb as is the crew. I can't comment on shore excursions as in Antarctica the whole trip is basically "one big shore excursion" 🙂. Sound like you have a good handle on things. Do enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 9:35 AM, Michael_A said:

Thank you... a clarification;

Boarding was around 3pm;

Actual embarkation (pulling away from the dock) was around 6:30pm.

Sorry for any confusion!

You had it right the first time.

Embarkation is the process of boarding the ship. 😉
Departure or sail away are the terms for when the cruise ship pulls away from the pier.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
  • Like 2