New to Viking Ocean - a few questions

cruise101

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

For Uber, and other online only service providers, it is useful to establish a user history before transportation is essential. Schedule a ride or two that might not otherwise be necessary in a ride share vehicle. Give the driver full points and tip. Drivers may avoid a request that has no history on the service app. I use it occasionally and use the account from the phone of my wife to establish her history in case she needs a ride and we are not together.

User ratings go both ways, client and provider.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have NO reasons at all to take cabs or Ubers where we live.  So I should take a few unnecessary rides to nowhere, just to establish an "online presence"?  What a waste of money.

This is why I'd just as soon have Viking get me a cab, or just go to the head of the taxi line.

Technology doesn't always make life easier.

End of my old-man-rant.  NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have NO reasons at all to take cabs or Ubers where we live.  So I should take a few unnecessary rides to nowhere, just to establish an "online presence"?  What a waste of money.

This is why I'd just as soon have Viking get me a cab, or just go to the head of the taxi line.

Technology doesn't always make life easier.

End of my old-man-rant.  NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

I'm with you, Uber is not my friend or neighbor. Plus, I haven't been in a taxi since I was 12 so even that is something new.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I really don’t want to get in a “rant” with an “old man,” but may I offer an example? We don’t often use Uber,( although we often use taxis when traveling).  But here in Santa Fe, we like to go to the opera, which often goes past midnight, and is in the hills.  And we often have wine. So we order Uber, both ways.  So maybe if you go out to dinner some night and want a bottle of wine, and don’t want to worry about driving at night, you might try out an Uber ride.  Not really that expensive, you  get an account going, and who knows…the world is your oyster!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I really don’t want to get in a “rant” with an “old man,” but may I offer an example? We don’t often use Uber,( although we often use taxis when traveling).  But here in Santa Fe, we like to go to the opera, which often goes past midnight, and is in the hills.  And we often have wine. So we order Uber, both ways.  So maybe if you go out to dinner some night and want a bottle of wine, and don’t want to worry about driving at night, you might try out an Uber ride.  Not really that expensive, you  get an account going, and who knows…the world is your oyster!

Again, you live in a city, like one of my daughters, who uses Uber a lot.  For us, the city is an hour away in good traffic, 2 hrs on bad days.  Ubering is just not practical.  For the city we either drive in or use rail.

One size does not fit all.

(BTW old man rant is meant to be funny, sorry if the term offended you!)

10 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Again, you live in a city, like one of my daughters, who uses Uber a lot.  For us, the city is an hour away in good traffic, 2 hrs on bad days.  Ubering is just not practical.  For the city we either drive in or use rail.

One size does not fit all.

(BTW old man rant is meant to be funny, sorry if the term offended you!)

OK, fine.  But I will point out that at 80000 people Santa Fe is hardly a city (I’m from Los Angeles—big difference).  And I am certainly not “offended” by the term “old man rant.”  Too much that’s really offensive in the world to worry about.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

OK, fine.  But I will point out that at 80000 people Santa Fe is hardly a city (I’m from Los Angeles—big difference).  And I am certainly not “offended” by the term “old man rant.”  Too much that’s really offensive in the world to worry about.

Small city, but state capital, so it probably has lots of amenities, like opera, for example, as you mention.  My town may have only 15,000 people, but is pretty suburban/rural.  We don't even have a supermarket in town.  You probably the biggest city/town for a few miles, perhaps?

We found while traveling out west that smaller towns/cities have much more amenities that similarly sized towns in the more heavily populated northeast, as we have lots of cities with populations over 100K.  Santa Fe may not be LA or NYC, but it is certainly a city, with many things we country dwellers do not have.

I get your point RE:  Uber and taxis, but want to be sure you see where I'm coming from.  As I said, one size does not fit all.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1