RCL's Jeep Safari Tour Review

LaTortuga

I was on the Explorer last month and did the Jeep 4x4 tour through RCL on Friday, March 4. We had 21 in our group on the boat and 16 of us signed up for this excursion. 2 of us couldn't make it because they had been quarantined (for the Norwlak virus), so 14 of us did the excursion (ages 25 - 60). I definitely recommend this excursion.

Tour:

We were picked up at the dock and taken for a short ride in a nice bus (air conditioned and in good shape) and arrived at where our jeeps were waiting. Despite what the description on Royal's website says, the jeeps are all automatics, so don't work if you can't drive a stick! (You do need your driver's liscence if you plan on driving, they issue you a temporary liscence for the day. My husband and I were in our own jeep, but everyone one was paired up (3 or 4 to a jeep). There was only 1 couple that we didn't know and they rode along with one of the tour guides. (The guides are the lead and last jeeps in the caravan). It was easy to stay together in the caravan because most people realized that we were a tour and waited for everyone to get turned. Everyone has walkie talkies and the guide mentions things about the island as you're driving. There was also a large bottle of water in each jeep. The first stop was a point on the north part of the island and everyone got out and the guides explain to you where you are and what all you can see from there. Then we stopped at a location to see iguanas. They were in the trees and we were able to get some good pictures. Then we rode through the mangroves (this is the bumpy part!) and made our way to the Spanish Bay Reef Resort. We had an hour here and were offered free non-alocoholc drinks, alcohol for a charge and a buffet for a charge. THere are also snack and drinks available for purchase in the dive shop. There were changing areas and bathrooms in the dive shop as well. Snorkel gear is provided for free, however we brought our own. Some in our group used their equipment and didn't have any problems with it. They also provide inflatable life vests that you must wear while snorkelling. We snorkeled right off the shore (there are steps to get down in to the water) and saw a good variety of fish. For being right off the shore, it was a perfect snorkel location! There were also beach chairs and a beach and a pool available to just relax if you don't want to get in the water. After leaving the Spanish Bay Resort, we went to Hell and stopped there long enough to take some pictures and visit the gift shop (not a long stop, but definitely long enough!). Then we went to the Rum Cake Factory to sample the rum and rum cake. You also have time to look around the gift shop and buy souvenirs if you want. Then we headed back to the jeep station and were driven back to the dock in a nice bus again.

Overall thoughts:

We were delayed getting off the ship by over 2 hours and the tour guides adjusted the tour so that we didn't lose any time and made it back in plenty of time to shop around the dock and get back to the ship. (One of the benefits of booking through RCL is you don't have to worry about missing the boat).

The tour guides were really friendly and informative.

Everyone in our group really enjoyed this trip.

You get to see some of the island, swim, snorkel, relax, see Hell and the Rum Factory...a good variety if you've already done the stingrays and turtles.

You can take the top off your jeep or leave it up. It does get hot with the top down, but we enjoyed it. Some in our group left their top up because of how hot it was.

My husband and I were in Grand Cayman for our honeymoon in 2002 and thought we had seen everything, but this took us on some roads we hadn't seen and we really enjoyed the trip. The other jeep tour you're talking about goes to Rum Point I believe. We spent time at Rum Point on our honeymoon and really liked it, but it is a longer drive if you're only there for the day. I thought the snorkel site on this excurion at Spanish Bay Resort was very good and I don't really remember the spots off shore at Rum Point being any better. I'm not sure what else you'd see on the excursion, but no one else in our group had ever been to Grand Cayman and they all couldn't stop talking about this tour.

One in our group left their camera case in their jeep at the end of the tour and the guides made it back to the dock just as we were getting off our bus to return it to him. I was surprised they went so far out of their way to return a camera case.

If you're looking to really go off roading in a jeep, Grand Cayman wouldn't be the place to do it. THe mangroves were the only bumpy places and you're on regular roads most of the time.

I think this would be a fun tour for all ages.:)

I think the excursion was approx. 4 hours. I just read teh description on RCL's website and it says it's 5 1/2 hours and stops at the Beach Club Colony for swimming time. This may have been cut from our excursion due to the problems we had getting off the ship because of the Norwalk Virus.

The ride to pick up the jeeps was not more than 5 to 10 minutes...coming back to the dock was a little longer due to traffic.

PH---- This is Francisco from the Florida thread.

I will be cruising on the Explorer on Dec/06 and was doing some research of things to do on Grand Cayman. This is the reply I got from the independent Jeep Safara tour:

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a confirmation, it is an availability reply.

Good morning,

There is currently availability on the Cayman Jeep Safari & Rum Point Beach Tour on your arrival date. The Jeep Safari will take you to the hidden locations of Grand Cayman to escape crowds, discover never before seen locations by Cruise Ship Passengers and to relax on the most sought after beach area in Grand Cayman, Rum Point.

The excursion departure time is 10:30am (Local Cayman Time, same as USA Eastern Time Zone) with a 10:20am meeting time. The Excursion returns to the Port at 4:00pm.

The excursion is $69.00us per adult and $59.00us for children under 12 years of age and under. (Minimum driving age 25yrs old)

The Jeep Safari Excursion meets a short 2 minute walk from your tender where your transportation will take you to board your Jeep in order to begin the excursion.

The first stop is at the famous Tortuga Rum Cake Factory, rum cake samples will be available for your tasting as well as to enable you to purchase souvenirs from the Cayman Islands.

The Safari travels on to the South Coast of Grand Cayman to Pedro's Bluff, the highest point of Grand Cayman and one of the most picturesque and hidden location on the Island.

Following the picturesque moment the Safari will make it's way to beautiful Rum Point where the relaxation begins. Snorkeling, water toys (jet skis, banana boat ride, water skiing etc) and a beach restaurant will be available for your use (Rum Point costs are not included in the excursion price) during your visit, water toys and snorkeling equipment can be rented at Rum Point.

Total drive time will be approximately 1 hour each way, 1 hour for the stops along the way for great photo opportunities and exploration, giving Safari explorers approximately 2 hours to lounge on the beach.

Due to the excursion's popularity and limited availability due to small Safari groups please ensure to reserve the excursion ASAP in order to avoid disappointment due to unavailability.

If you would like to confirm your reservation please follow the link below to our SSL secure/encrypted reservation page. A 15% Deposit is required in order to secure your reservation (fully refunded in case of Ships not calling Port, please refer to our Terms of Reservation by visiting our website http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Terms.htm ) The balance is due at time of excursion in cash or traveler check only.

https://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanJeepSecureReservation.htm

Please feel free to e-mail us or to contact our Live Help Dept. by visiting our Website. You may contact one of our live Operators for reservations as well as answers to any further questions before your confirmed reservation. A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you with directions as well as additional relevant reservation instructions following your reservation submittal.

Thank you,

Sarah

Island Marketing Ltd (Cayman)

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

I hope this help:cool:

Thanks for that info Francisco........but we went ahead and booked the one thru RCCL...........same price and we dont have to worry about getting off the ship in time(tenders)........plus it will be one less thing that we have to pay for.......we already booked and paid..

No problem, just wanted to share the info. I looked to the one thru RCCL, but I like this one better because it stop at Rum Point and it has great reviews. I was thining about Nativeways "RAYS, REFF and Rum point", but I did the Stingray City Tour lat year and wanted to try something diferrent this time. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived