taxi from Hiroshima port to Peace memorial?

jabrown40

I'm not really excited about taking the ship excursion to the Peace Memorial and museum.  We arrive at the port at 0900, the excursion is only about three and a half hours, and we're there til 5 pm. I've read about taking the train from the station near the port, but was wondering if there are taxis available at the port?  It just seems quicker, and would cost less than the excursion for two people.

4 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

I'm not really excited about taking the ship excursion to the Peace Memorial and museum.  We arrive at the port at 0900, the excursion is only about three and a half hours, and we're there til 5 pm. I've read about taking the train from the station near the port, but was wondering if there are taxis available at the port?  It just seems quicker, and would cost less than the excursion for two people.

The ship will dock at Itsukaichi industrial port, free shuttle will drop off at JR Itsukaichi Station. Taxi stand is outside station north exit, near the drop off zone. Most tourists thinking taxi can drop off and hail anywhere, not true. Most taxi drivers don't speak English.

To Hiroshima Peace Park (6 miles travel)
By taxi: 18 - 30 min depends on road traffic, taxi usually drop off at Prayer Fountain area (祈りの泉)

By tram: walk 3 min over the skywalk to Hiroden-Itsukaichi tram Station. Take Miyajima Line towards Hiroshima Station, 30 min ride and exit at Genbaku Dome-Mae Station, you will see the Atomic Bomb Dome and tram will have station announcement in English.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum admission fee is 200 yen.
https://hpmmuseum.jp/?lang=eng

Here are your destination in Japanese, show to taxi driver if he doesn't speak English.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum            Itsukaichi Station
広島平和記念資料館                                     五日市駅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How to Ride the Hiroshima Tram (Hiroshima Electric Railway)
https://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/s-howtoride.html
Cash payment only accept coins and ¥1000 banknote.

Miyajima Line Tram #2 will take you back Hiroden-Itsukaichi tram Station (westbound)
Don't board from the wrong way station! To access the tram station island, use the station pedestrian crosswalks (traffic light control), don't jaywalk !,  and queue to board the tram.

English audio guide rental is available in Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum.

From the Atomic Bomb Dome walk 5 min to the east, is Hondori shopping district.

Hiroshima classic gourmet food - Okonomiyaki.

If using tram as transportation, fare is ¥230, you can tour Hiroshima Peace Park under 

¥1000/pp  (US $7). 

2 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

Great information, thank you!

I did post-cruise stay in Hiroshima. If you prefer peace of mind, travel in style, not an adventurous person then take the ship excursion. So, how much the ship excursion cost? I also posted DIY instructions on Hiroshima and Miyajima Island.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jabrown40 said:

It would be about 160.00 for two of us.

From Itsukaichi Station to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, taxi fare is ¥3500 (tipping not expected in Japan). If you are using taxi to/from Hiroshima Peace Park (US $60), the cost is still cheaper than the excursion, well, the extra US $100, you don't need to queue the shuttle buses and come with a tour guide. 😜

Most of Japan ports can be DIY, I can afford another Japan cruise from shore excursion saving. 

Edited by monkey@cruise

The ship excursion - celebrity - just doesn't sound like it gives enough time to Hiroshima as it combines it with lunch which we do not want.  There is a combined Miyajama - Peace Park excursion but again it is only 5 hours so clearly they rush both sites. 

1 hour ago, jabrown40 said:

I'm hoping to just take a cab.

Minor cities, like Hiroshima, not all taxis accept credit card as payment, always a good idea to have some cash. 

There are other exhibitions in the park, like Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall, Children's Peace Monument, Atomic Bomb Memorial Burial Mound, Bell of Peace, Clock Tower of Peace, etc.   You can take your time to see.

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

The ship excursion - celebrity - just doesn't sound like it gives enough time to Hiroshima as it combines it with lunch which we do not want.  There is a combined Miyajama - Peace Park excursion but again it is only 5 hours so clearly they rush both sites. 

Miyajama Island tourist area is small, the major highlight is Itsukushima Jinja, 15 min walk from the ferry terminal. Most tours will stay there 1 - 1 1/4 hr. Hiroshima Peace Park is also small, from Atomic Bomb Dome to Memorial Museum is 8 min walk, most excursion just cover the  Atomic Bomb Dome and the Memorial Museum (1-2 hr inside seeing the exhibits)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jabrown40 said:

Thank you for your great information!  Are you aware of any lunch possibilities?

image.png.acd9928776857c6293853b0a27741987.png

walk 8 min to Hiroshima Hondori Shopping street, a shopping arcade is closed to car traffic.  Lots of restaurants, many with english menu.