Comparison: Atlas with Ponant

Hi, 

I would really like to gain people's views here. I have in the past gone on Silversea expedition cruises. Ponant and Atlas look to be of a similar size. 

Has anyone been on both lines? How do they compare ?

I'm solo, like to be active and not averse to a bit of luxury...😀

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Comparison: Atlas with Ponant

I have not sailed Ponant, sailed with Atlas twice.  I would image the passenger count and cuisine would lean towards the French.  Atlas is mostly Americans.

How did you find Atlas? I went with Ponant in the Kimberly--the clients were all Australian and no way was the cuisine french--(not a french cheese to be seen) . Very substandard food throughout the cruise.

My friend recommended them.  I have not sailed on a luxury cruise line and Atlas is not trying to be one.  They are focusing on 'Premium' a step below luxury.  I really liked their product and hope to sail again soon.

Posted (edited)

We sailed Ponant to Antartica and Atlas to the Arctic.  The ship sizes are very comparable with less than 200 passengers.  Both lines have lovely intimate ships.  As was said above the clientele was different.  On Ponant the pax load was 75% French on our cruise, with the rest being Brits, US, Canadians, Germans, and a handful of Japanese.  On Atlas it was mostly Americans and Canadians with a small percentage of both Europeans and Chinese.  However, it’s difficult to project the passenger makeup on any given cruise.  We found the service, food, and wine (👍) to be better on Atlas, YMMV.   Atlas also did a nice job of catering to food allergies and dietary preferences.  Ponant had one dressy night.  Atlas had a more casual feel, no suit jackets, ties, and sequins required.  Ponant had excellent unlimited internet.  Atlas only included 1GB of data.  Both lines had highly qualified expedition teams.  Both lines had very nice forward facing lounges.  Both cruises had capable and adventurous captains.

Our first Silversea cruise isn’t until 2025, so can’t compare to that.  We wouldn’t hesitate to sail either Atlas or Ponant again.  If all else were equal, we would lean toward Atlas.

P1010255.jpeg

P7211049.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie