Venice question (overnighting)

SailorPaulH

Posted (edited)

Perhaps someone familiar with the 3-day stopover in Venice on the Italy, Adriatic & Greece itinerary can give some advise as to whether this is a viable plan for our 2025 cruise:

"Day 1" - the ship docks at Chioggia (as best as I know thus far) at 8:00 AM. We intend to do our own excursion to Padua, then return to the ship before walking the town in Chioggia on our own.

"Day 2" - (the changeover day for some passengers). If there is an included tour into Venice we will take that, but then do our own thing and stay overnight at a hotel (need to inform the ship, yes?) - is that allowed, viable? If not, we can make our own independent arrangement (e.g., car service from Chioggia to Venice). Any hotels recommended? - we are looking at Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal which is close to Piazza San Marco.

"Day 3" - Again, do our own thing, but take a car service from Venice to Chioggia in plenty of time for the 2:00 pm departure. Is this OK under the regulations that Venice is imposing these days?

Edited by SailorPaulH

So I read a great write up of someone who did this on FB that was really detailed. We didn't do it ourselves, but yes, there were some hoops to jump through but it is possible. I think the biggest issue is making all the transportation arrangements on your own. I don't know if you can rely on a Viking excursion, but it's possible. And I know they said letting the ship know you would not be returning was good to do. I can't remember if they needed actual "permission" but it was advisable to tell the ship.

I would consider reaching out to Viking now and working with customer service to see if there's anything else you need to do.

• Thanks 1

There were several posts on this topic about a year ago, from travelers who had done it in the past and those who hoped to do it on cruises in 2024.  Our cruise has been rebooked for 2025 and we hope to spend at least one night in Venice city.

There is a public bus from the gates of the dock in Chioggia to Venice city. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

So I read a great write up of someone who did this on FB that was really detailed. We didn't do it ourselves, but yes, there were some hoops to jump through but it is possible. I think the biggest issue is making all the transportation arrangements on your own. I don't know if you can rely on a Viking excursion, but it's possible. And I know they said letting the ship know you would not be returning was good to do. I can't remember if they needed actual "permission" but it was advisable to tell the ship.

I would consider reaching out to Viking now and working with customer service to see if there's anything else you need to do.

We plan on doing this (staying the night in Venice mid-cruise).  We'll simply leave the ship one day and return the next day.  The ship has no need to know where we may be at 4am.  Will tell our cabin steward we'll be out for the evening.

Just a warning that stated arrival time and departure time for Chioggia/Venice can change.  Ours changed a week before.  There are many factors not under Vikings control - tides, wind, rainfall.  Rainfall, higher then normal tides and a southerly wind caused an Acqua Alta event and even closed the Mose barriers for a time.  This was early March.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Just a warning that stated arrival time and departure time for Chioggia/Venice can change.  Ours changed a week before.  There are many factors not under Vikings control - tides, wind, rainfall.  Rainfall, higher then normal tides and a southerly wind caused an Acqua Alta event and even closed the Mose barriers for a time.  This was early March.

Thanks for the warning. We have booked "night 2" at a hotel in Venice, and we will find our way there (early day 2) and back (early day 3) as needed (regardless as to whether it will be Chioggia or Fusina as the actual port).

Edited by SailorPaulH

Posted (edited)

Im glad. I went when the ship docked in Venice. Would not go there now.it is always very crowded and now its another problem docking so far away.

Edited by oskidunker

On 8/14/2024 at 3:55 PM, HDS said:

There were several posts on this topic about a year ago, from travelers who had done it in the past and those who hoped to do it on cruises in 2024.  Our cruise has been rebooked for 2025 and we hope to spend at least one night in Venice city.

There is a public bus from the gates of the dock in Chioggia to Venice city. 

I believe that Dr Koob covered leaving Viking for a few nights in Venice in one of his exceptional posts.

Its easy and fun to take public transportation (boat) to and from Chioggia and Venice. Also eay to take the water bus all around while in venice. We didnt stay in a hotel. We did day 1 on the excursion and day 2 back and forth on our own.

Kitty, can you share the name of the public water bus from Chioggia is to Venice and location of the Chioggia pickup point in relation to the cruise terminal.  Website perhaps.

When did you do this?

Thanks,