Recommended Sight-Seeing Excursions (other than the Virgin Gordas) --- We'll Be on NCL

ajtraveler66

Although the Virgin Gordas would be nice, from what I've read I just think the excursion would be too crowded for us.  So we're probably going to rule that one out.

We are often content just to hang around near the port area.  And if you feel that the Tortola port area has much to offer, we may be content to just do that.

However, if there are some other specific excursions (sight-seeing even with a little beach time) that ships offer that you enjoyed, we may consider doing one of those.  We are a senior-citizen foursome.

• Like 1

Yes, you dock in a busy marina area, there are a few shops and a few eateries right there. Beyond the port area is a Botanical Garden, but within walking distance is primarily a financial district.

You’ll see many shared safari taxis transporting fellow cruisers to the different beaches or on island tours. 
A couple popular spots to have a drink and a bite are the Watering Hole and Pusser’s Road Town Pub, the latter has a nice store as well.

You can also just hop one of the shared safari taxis that provide various island tours, you will see them identified, or you can ask the nice ladies at the information area for guidance. 
The typical tours include spectacular views and photo ops from high up, and some interesting highlights. Other longer tours include a beach stop, typically Cane Garden Bay which you can read about in the Gorgeous Beaches of the BVI post.

• Like 2

Good info! Like @ajtraveler66 we are on NCL, our cruise has a very short port time - only 6 hours starting at 6 am. I'm tagging on to your post, aj, to see if we can generate more ideas. 😊

Would love to see this beautiful island, yet with the short port time, will probably only take ship sponsored excursions. I’d be a wreck worrying about being left behind if an independent operator had an unexpected issue.

There's a tour called Mt. Alma hike and beach. We're definitely interested in a hike and can deal with beach time. Any feedback on that  - or other ideas - are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2024 at 8:47 AM, mooline said:

Good info! Like @ajtraveler66 we are on NCL, our cruise has a very short port time - only 6 hours starting at 6 am. I'm tagging on to your post, aj, to see if we can generate more ideas. 😊

Would love to see this beautiful island, yet with the short port time, will probably only take ship sponsored excursions. I’d be a wreck worrying about being left behind if an independent operator had an unexpected issue.

There's a tour called Mt. Alma hike and beach. We're definitely interested in a hike and can deal with beach time. Any feedback on that  - or other ideas - are appreciated.

Port time for the Prima Nov. 30 cruise just changed from 6am-1pm to 8am-6pm, which is much better for excursion options.  We’re thinking of going to Cane Garden Bay early, to avoid being in the afternoon sun🌴