Any Suggestions for St. Mary's, Isle of Scilly, UK?

We are making a port stop here in September on Atlas World Voyager.  I really don't know proximity from port into town or what to do in this port.  Would really appreciate any suggestions.  There seems to be some beaches and a Garrison.  We are only there for about 8 hours.  Has anyone been to this port and was there something that you would recommend as a "Don't Miss".  Help me out folks.  - Dave in Houston

I know the Isles of Scilly well. What do you like to do and I can make suggestions? How mobile are you? 8hrs is a good long time. You can go to any of the other islands, if not two. Regardless of ship size I expect you'll be tendering into St Mary's, and the distance will depend on the tide. From dock to town is the length of the harbour wall 😀

• Like 1

We love to see beautiful places, more on the scenic side.  Our biggest issue is lack of transportation other than foot since we are coming off of cruise ship.  Is it better to see one of the other islands vs seeing the town?  Is town called Hughtow? I see there is a garrison wall to walk on and burial sites, just not sure how far away.  I am totally open for suggestions.  Just hate to get aboard and find out that we really missed an opportunity seeing something so open to your suggestions.  Only catch is that we need to be able to see it and get back to the ship on time.

Posted (edited)

Obviously depends on what someone's interests are. I'm a keen gardener so would be hoping to visit the Gardens on Tresco. It has the mildest climate of anywhere in the UK and it's possible to grow plants there that cannot be grown outside elsewhere in the country. It is on something of a bucket list for me and we keep talking about having a short break in the Scillies. But it's  a big schlep - six hour drive, followed by three hour ferry. And these days, I can't do a six hour drive in one day. Maybe I'll have to do a cruise that takes it in. 

On a historical note, our former prime minister, Harold Wilson, is buried at St Mary's. He used to regularly holiday on the island. So I'd probably visit the graveyard. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

8 hours is a long time to spend in Hugh Town (the principal town of St Mary's) but there are options.  St Mary's is tiny and relatively flat with plenty of options for walking, its only two miles from High Town to the east coast, a 5-8 mile circular walk around the island is easy to plan.  Cycle and electric buggy hire is available, but advisable to pre book as provision of cycles and buggies is limited.

Another alternative is to spend time in Hugh Town then do a trip to another island.  Tresco is popular to visit the abbey and gardens.

Edited by Thejuggler
  • Like 1

We have had a 2 week holiday in Hughtown St Marys.  

Visiting other islands depends on timings.  The time of your arrival on the quayside and departure of island boats.  Those boats are not large.  You probably would not want to do an island trip in poorer weather.  When on one of the islands it will be walk, walk and admire the scenery and beaches.  They are lovely and 'away from it all'.

The island of Tresco is popular for its gardens.  Some cruise ships run excursions to Tresco.

Many from far and wide go to Scilly specifically for serious birdwatching. 

The town at St Marys is not large.  It is interesting to walk around but will not take you that long.  When we were there we did lots of walks.  The countryside is beautiful, the pace is quiet and  distances are reasonable.  If that interests you, get a map (Google maps are a start), decide the route and have decent footwear. 

The ship will probably tender.  That reduces the 8 hours.  If sea conditions are poor, as they sometines are around the Isles the call may be missed.   

If you like scenic, then you’ll love it, as everything is very scenic! There’s lots of good suggestions above, and 8 hrs is definitely too long to stay in Hugh Town. The Garrison is mainly a long flat (after a steep start) walk around a headland, with some walls and 1-2 flat bits with old cannons. The ‘castle’ is the hotel at the top, and most of the other buildings have also been turned into holiday cottages. So, maybe a nice walk to get a view of your ship, before tendering back. And buy some nice souvenirs from the shops in Hugh Town. 

Tresco is pretty, and the Gardens are lovely. But…this island is the most developed as it’s effectively a resort run by a single management company. All the cottages, place names, road signs etc are the same font/material. Feels a bit Disney to me. The Gardens can be very busy, and the cafe is small. The other islands still have old families and communities living on them, with small farms and individual shops etc.

If it’s good weather, consider the rockier boat trip to St Agnes. These are usually combined with a wildlife ‘tour’ to find seabirds or go to a lighthouse. St Agnes is small enough to walk around in an hour on a circular loop, and its fairly flat paved path/roads. Don’t miss the ice cream at Troytown! The pier is outside the Turks Head pub, so you can sit relaxing with a drink/food watching for the boat to come back. 

Or if the timing/tides work, take the trip to Bryher & Tresco. Then you’ll see very contrasting islands and probably have time for the Gardens too. On Bryher, Hell Bay Hotel is great for a lovely but pricey lunch, and get some fudge from Veronica’s farm. It’s a flat walk from either quay to Hell Bay, but you can do a hill and wild Atlantic cliffs if you want by going towards Shipman’s Head. On Tresco, go to the Abbey Gardens. If you do Bryher/Tresco, factor in that there are two quays on each, for the high/low tide. On Bryher, the two quays (Bar and Church Quay) are 10-15mins walk apart. But on Tresco it’s more like 40mins walk between high tide quay (New Grimsby) and low tide quay (Carn Near). 

You can see all the boat trip options here. https://www.scillyboating.co.uk The live updates are on their Facebook page, with usually 24hrs notice if clear weather.

This is today’s for example

Tuesday 27th August
Departures: (all from St Mary’s)
Tresco: 1015, 1115, 1215, 1400
Bryher: 1015, 1115, 1215, 1400
St Agnes: 1015, 1115, 1400
St Martin's: 0845, 1015, 1300, 1400, 1615
Wildlife safari to the Eastern Isles looking for Seals and Seabirds. Land on St Martin's or come back to St Mary's. Departing St Mary's at 1015
Returns:
Tresco: 1430, 1545, 1645
Bryher: 1430, 1630
St Agnes: 1415, 1645
St Martin's: 1430, 1645
All trips are subject to the weather and may change.

Other things to consider- take cash! Some of the businesses on the off islands are cash-preferred, and you’ll need it for the honesty boxes. There’s only 1-2 cashpoints on St Mary’s so you want GBP beforehand. Prices are similar to mainland Britain, maybe a bit more. 
Wear sunscreen! There’s so little environmental pollution, and so much sun, you will burn quicker than expected. Don’t ask me how I know…

Enjoy it whatever you choose, September is a wonderful time of year to be on Scilly

• Thanks 1

Wow!  Great suggestions everyone.  So much to choose from.  Looks like many of the decisions will be made based on weather but if tolerable, it looks like taking a boat trip to one of the islands is something worth doing and that is what I am leaning to.  Will definitely be bringing sunscreen as I too will fry like bacon without it.