Required entry documents for Barbados

Forget for a moment on how the requirements can be interpreted, if you're sailing, flying,  driving, walking, crawling, skipping, to any foreign country, have a Passport.

It costs somewhere around $150.  If you can't afford that, then you might want to re-think taking a cruise.

People will prepare for every sort of swimwear need on board, but are worried about having proper ID available.

The OP is traveling from Maryland to Miami.  Their driving/flying costs alone to get to the port will cost way more than a Passport.  Even the pre-cruise hotel will cost more than a Passport.  But, the Passport will be the one essential item that, when needed/required, is invaluable.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The OP is traveling from Maryland to Miami.  Their driving/flying costs alone to get to the port will cost way more than a Passport.  Even the pre-cruise hotel will cost more than a Passport.  But, the Passport will be the one essential item that, when needed/required, is invaluable.

Here is where I will state RIF and add comprehension is key.  No where in my question did I state that I did not possess a passport.  I never mentioned I was traveling from Maryland.  I even reiterated in a subsequent post that I have had both an Official US Passport and a US Tourist Passport for over 45 years. But some on this forum want to assume that I never travel with a passport and am driving, flying, walking, skipping, etc from Maryland to Miami.  Some want to question my packing habits to determine that I have the latest swimwear in my suitcase instead of a proper ID and then the catch all statement of "if you can't afford $150 for a passport then you should rethink cruising". To these posters I say Good Day and thanks for nothing.  To the rest I say thankyou for the information provided and my Daughter and her Husband, who do not possess a passport, are now convinced that what is published on the NCL website and from our own DOS is indeed factual.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OP, My interpretation of your original post....

Your user name states you're in Maryland.  You stated you were sailing from Miami.  In reality, you can drive or fly there.  

You stated your Daughter is going with you, does not have a Passport and does not want to bear the cost of one. You went on to say that you (and her) weren't sure if you needed a Passport.  There is indeed conflicting information about the requirement....some links tied to Barbados say you do, some links tied to the U.S. say you don't. You asked us to chime in.  We did. Paraphrasing here, but that's the essence of it.

Now, that you didn't like some of the answers is a different matter.  

Overwhelmingly, we stated we would make sure a Passport should accompany your party on the trip.

Given you said your Daughter  didn't want to bear the cost of a Passport  (or are they expecting you to bear the cost of the Passport, which is a whole other conversation?) made me wonder why, given the relatively small cost associated with getting one.  And, it's cost relative to the rest of the trip....(gas to drive 1,000 miles there and 1,000 miles back will cost somewhere around $300.  If you don't drive straight through, another hotel night is at least $150.  IF you fly, it's at minimum $150/seat.  Cruise fare, being generous, is $1,000/person.  So, your Daughter and her Husband will cost around $2,500 to sail with you.  Probably more, but let's go with that.

$150/Passport doesn't seem to be such a large expense to be assured of meeting whatever requirements Barbados requires.  Plus, for the next decade, they can use those Passports wherever they may go.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  But, based on what you posted, this is the answer I offered since you asked.

• Like 1